Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 1922 Springfield magazine variant

Recently found an interesting 1922 Springfield magazine so thought I would share. For comparison it is photographed with the "standard" magazine. I suspect this was an earlier version perhaps for the long stock 1921 shown in Brophy's book.IMG_2715.jpg

2. Default

Oops!

Back when things were made to last! Today the magazine would be made of plastic and be engineered to last for 1-2 years.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

4. Default

One of the mags to my Dad's 1922 would hang up - been that way for 70 years, back when his uncle had it. My Dad was never one to disassemble magazines, so when he gave the rifle to me, I disassembled the mag, cleaned out some crud, sprayed down the insides with a silicone dry lube, reassembled it & it now works as new.

Those mags were built so heavy that to wreck one, you'd have to shoot a hole thru it.

5. Default

How did you disassemble the magazine? You can slip the floor plates out of the later magazines in order to take it apart. I did not think you could take the earlier, longer 1923 unit,

Same way you do a 1911 Mag. I suppose

7. Default

Doubt it. The 1922 magazine has a solid base that is riveted in place. I have never taken one apart and do not believe it can be done without having to remove/replace the rivets. Any one out there done it?

8. Default

The note inside the pouch of magazines indicate they were made in 1930. To disassemble, I simply tapped out the bottom spring steel bottom "plate", removed the spring, follower and cleaned out the interior. Not a rivet anywhere.

Rereading the note, I think it referred to the 1930 date on the rifle barrel & not the mags date.
    Last edited by AZshooter; 09-23-2017 at 09:48. Reason: date clarification

9. Default

The magazines I show in the photos are the earliest standard issue 22 cal magazines for the Model 1922 Springfield. The later Model 1922 M1 use a shorter magazine with the removable floor plate. The last M2 rifle magazine is the same, just a little longer. These later two magazines can be disassembled .