1. Default Solid Back 1911A1 Grips..Rare or not so rare

Greetings,

I cannot find any information on these vintage solid back grip types that I have. When, where, why and who?
    The photo is of the backside with a small circle in the middle. Is there any collector value for these?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

There were some postwar grips made that way, but more and better pictures would be required to offer even a guess as to what you have.
    www.m1911info.com
    Solutions for M1911 Buyers & Sellers

3. Default

I've heard that they were post war and used in the Navy Depots such as Crane. I have not been able to verify this. I have a set that sit in the parts chest.
    /Ken Hill

"Reason is not automatic. Those that deny it cannot be conquered by it!" Ayn Rand

Also heard Navy from a parts dealer about 30 years ago. I did have a set or two but can't remember if I still have them stuck away or not.

5. Default

Thanks a bunch for the info. That explains why they are not common. They are VERY strong and really don't know why they did use them more in the past. But understand that battle weight along with extra material used to fab cost the manufacture more $

Blog Entries

The 1927 Argentine copy of the Colt Govt Model came with black grips. I recall when these were very common in the US in the 1970's. I had a gunsmith make me a hardball service pistol using the Model 1927 frame. All parts he used on it were Colt parts. All the 1927 models I have seen had the black grips.

Like these ?

"Own only what you can carry with you; know language, know countries,
    know people. Let your memory be your travel bag."

- Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Blog Entries

That is exactly what I was talking about.