Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Questions on two stamps on R.I. M1903

I have attached pics of Rock Island 339506.

Question 1 the circle P on stock is overstamped with a star. What does this mean.
    Question 2 the bolt is marked RF 46. Any info on that.

Thanks in advance.IMG_1405.jpgIMG_1406.jpgIMG_1407.jpg

Mark on underside of boltIMG_1408.jpg

Overall pic just becauseIMG_1409.jpg

I'm betting the bolt is a BF 46. Just the B might be light and looks like a R. But here is a link to John's list on the BF 46. http://www.vishooter.net/slc12_2008.html

On the star, I would love to know myself. It's something several of us have been actively searching for in the Archives, but have never found it documented. I've seen them stamped in various locations on the 1903 stocks. I've also them stamped on the top of some Marine barrels, like on the 1903, and Garand. Which those stamps on the barrel are usually only stamped on "special" rifles. Now whether they are related, the ones stamped in wood, and on top of barrels I don't know. But I have seen some that appear stamped by the same stamp.

I have sometimes heard it nicknamed the "Philly Star" by experts. Implying that it was a stamp applied by the Marine Phillly Depot. But I don't know how I feel about that. It for sure does show up on some "Special" Marine rifles. But I don't know if it was exclusive to that. I could see someone arguing it many different ways.

Really honestly I think everything right now on it is speculation. I would love to know for sure though, I've always been intrigued by it.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 02-08-2017 at 07:20.

Thanks, I'll look at JB s link. The rifle has a hatche rhole. I'll throw up more pics tomorrow to see ifs got any otherMarine attribituts. The butt plate is smooth though

I don't know for certain if it's 100% exclusive to the Marines, but I see a lot of these cut into Marine stocks. But it's a small milling cut under the bolt handle. Most look like small dents, but when you look really close you can see machining/tooling marks in the wood from it actually being cut.

It really looks like in your one pic, that your stock might have this cut under the bolt handle. I would look close at it and look for tooling marks.

Doesn't BF stand for Bonney Forge?

Quote Originally Posted by budmant View Post
    Doesn't BF stand for Bonney Forge?
    That's what I've been told. My bolt is stamped BF 46 and it's on a 03a3.

Ill post some more pics tomorrow. Its parked so its been rebuilt. The bore is still very good. It does look like a poorly struck B under magnification. Have not found any rebuild cartouches on stock, but its surely been rebuilt at some point.

Hmmm....that 5 pointed star...I would like to know myself. Over the years there have been photos and discussions, but it appears to be VERY elusive. I happen to have an '03 with it on the barrel.
    Someday, maybe.

Jim