Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with a S&W 629-6 rear sight

I bought this revolver new last Summer and have fired it many times and adjusted the rear sight many times. However, today when adjusting the rear sight the blade got stuck to the far left and no amount of turning the screw will move it. What happened and how can I correct it? Thank you

If worse comes to worse being new it should fall under S&W's lifetime warrantee so send it back to the factory.

GROAN! I hate sending new stuff back to the factory.

Might consider replacing the rear sight blade and screw with this kit.....

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/47...d-instructions

Problem solved! I called S&W about this and was told to send the entire revolver back to them. When I balked at that, the gal told me I could purchase a complete new rear sight assembly for $56. I asked about their 'lifetime warranty' and was told they only honor that when they receive the entire gun. So much for their warranty! 8-(

So, what did you do to solve the problem?

I'm wondering why your sight had to be cranked so far over. I once had a M29 that had sight problems like that. Not enough travel to get it zeroed at longer ranges. I did send it back. It was returned to me with a new barrel and the papers only said :Barrel replaced/faulty crown.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    So, what did you do to solve the problem?

I'm wondering why your sight had to be cranked so far over. I once had a M29 that had sight problems like that. Not enough travel to get it zeroed at longer ranges. I did send it back. It was returned to me with a new barrel and the papers only said :Barrel replaced/faulty crown.
    I bought a new rear sight assembly from Brownells for $56. Reason original sight broke was completely my fault and not paying attention to what I was doing (too busy talking). 8-/

If you had sent them the whole firearm they would have replaced the sight for you N/C even if you did break it because you were talking. That is one thing S&W is very good at and that is taking care of their customers.

I can understand not wanting to send it back. I probably have the same apprehensions. When you juggle the potential headaches vs. an affordable DIY fix...

In the past I've sent firearms back. Colt was no love. Sent it back twice before dumping it. Taurus was the absolute worse. Took months and I don't mean a couple or a few. They fixed the misfire problem by installing a five thousand pound spring on the grittiest trigger/hammer combo I had ever felt!! Sent it back in their own box with a WTF note. Got it back with a smoother trigger with a ten thousand pound spring. Maybe an exaggeration..it was only six thousand
    S&W sent it back in reasonable time. Repaired correctly but it was filthy, oily, and had metal shavings in the mix.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    If you had sent them the whole firearm they would have replaced the sight for you N/C even if you did break it because you were talking. That is one thing S&W is very good at and that is taking care of their customers.
    I agree! But I did not want to send it back for such a minor problem!