Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I have been given to understand that 4 stack destroyers had '03 rifles AND Krags.
    Early in WWII in the Pacific.
    Novels have them noted from time to time.
    Author Taylor Anderson's novels have them being used.

USCGC POINT BAKER...1966, Port Aransas, Texas.
    Line throwing gun was a modified '93 Springfield.
    Took out a light on a bollard first time I used it in drill.
    First Class Bo'sun: "No, hit the damn light."
    and I did!
    Right through the lantern!
    Never seen a man's eyes bug out before that day.
    coastie

Have FIL old "Blue Jacket" manual, listed small arms are:

1903 & 1903A3 and Musstte bag and how to prepare for field exercises
    1911 & 1911A1 sidaerms
    &
    Winchester lever action in 45-70 for"Line throwing"

The navy was seriously short of rifles at start of war. Plus they were last in line for procurement. They bought Moss. .22 44US models for training. They also purchased what Remington had left of the new 720 sporters, 900-1000 of them all in 30-06. Those were never used and years after the war they were given to Navy and Marines winners of matches, (new in box with original sling) To bother with a purchase of 1000 rifles (there were not any more nor would there ever be) shows desperation to me! Mine was won in 1979 by a Gunny.
    Last edited by dave; 10-30-2017 at 10:20.
    You can never go home again.

I have about 100 cases headstamped WRA 34; I've had them for over 50 years. Bought at LGS as once-fired brass. When I queried the Dope Bag guys in DC, I was told these were loaded for the Navy, for subcaliber training devices ... Krag barreled actions inserted into a 5"-51 or similar gun for cheap, short range "live fire" practice. I s'pose could have been fitted to the 5"-38 too. I wonder what the load was? I have been using them for light cast bullet loads, probably reloaded a dozen or more times.

Respectfully,
    Bob S.
    Resp'y,
    Bob S.

USN Distinguished Marksman No. O-067

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Oddly enough, the trapdoor line-throwing guns are well documented, and a large contract for .45-70 blank ammo was issued to Winchester in 1943. They, however were simply a tool, not a weapon requiring a large supply of ammunition. They served well in that capacity. I have heard stories that .45-70 rifles were issued to at least a few backwater Coast Guard stations during WW2. Still have a hard time seeing Krags actually deployed on ships, but, it may have happened.
    I have a full box of the 45-70 blank ammo, marked "For Line Throwing Guns" and headstamped WRA-43. When I acquired it (it was given to me), it was unopened. Unfortunately, I was young and uneducated about collectable military stuff, so I'm the one who opened the box. However, everything else is intact and the cartridges look pretty good! I've had it for more than 35 years.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo