Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

If you guys wanted to know what the "1943 donation to the US Navy" documents were, Andrew on here could probably find a copy of them at the Archives. You get a handful of people together who are interested in it, and each throw in some money to pay him for his time, and I'm betting Andrew would go find them for you guys.

2. Default

Thumbing through the "American Rifleman" WW2 issues would likely produce information on the campaign.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 02-05-2017 at 07:54.

Thanks for all the input - I have a full run of the AR since the late 30's, but, like everything else it's disorganized. I think there may be a story here, but it isn't a high priority. I guess we can say at this point that it is highly unlikely, but not absolutely impossible.

The Navy was on the bottom of the supply chain for rifles (except Marines) they purchased 900+ Rem. sporting rifles in .30-06, Moss. .22 's for training practice and even a dummy parade rifles100_0348.jpg by Parris-Dunn for drill. The Army also purchased these dummy rifles, in at least two types. Those dummy rifle contracts lasted though 1944 at least. Top is Army heavy model (8+ #) and second is Navy MK 1. at about 6#.
    Last edited by dave; 02-05-2017 at 09:51.
    You can never go home again.

One of the Aircraft carriers I was on in 1960-61 was still using a cut-down 45-70 trapdoor for line throwing. (It was probably the USS Yorktown, but could have been the USS Coral Sea)

Oddly enough, the trapdoor line-throwing guns are well documented, and a large contract for .45-70 blank ammo was issued to Winchester in 1943. They, however were simply a tool, not a weapon requiring a large supply of ammunition. They served well in that capacity. I have heard stories that .45-70 rifles were issued to at least a few backwater Coast Guard stations during WW2. Still have a hard time seeing Krags actually deployed on ships, but, it may have happened.

7. Default

Not to the stir the pot but 1903's of various types were supposedly used on board ship into the 60's or 70's. I feel like my dad told me the Marine sentries (no longer used today) would carry them on port call sentry duty on the ship or during drills. That would lead me to believe that Krags could've easily found their way into the armories of various ships during WW II in the fleet and used for second hand duties where a front line service rifle (Garand or 1903A3) either wasn't required or wasn't available.

You'd be amazed at all the old crap the Navy keeps around long after it's usefulness has passed. When Cecil Field was closed around 2000 and the Navy left people were finding parts and equipment for aircraft the navy hadn't operated in a squadron since the 1970's. The equipment was still in inventory even though there was no use for it.

Stretch
    Last edited by Stretch32; 02-10-2017 at 06:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Stretch32 View Post
    Not to the stir the pot but 1903's of various types were supposedly used on board ship into the 60's or 70's. I feel like my dad told me the Marine sentries (no longer used today) would carry them on port call sentry duty on the ship or during drills. That would lead me to believe that Krags could've easily found their way into the armories of various ships during WW II in the fleet and used for second hand duties where a front line service rifle (Garand or 1903A3) either wasn't required or wasn't available.

You'd be amazed at all the old crap the Navy keeps around long after it's usefulness has passed. When Cecil Field was closed around 2000 and the Navy left people were finding parts and equipment for aircraft the navy hadn't operated in a squadron since the 1970's. The equipment was still in inventory even though there was no use for it.

Stretch
    I think that applies to the government in general. Original crates of Model 1884 .45-70 rifles were still turning up in the 1940's. A great number of that particular model were apparently put aside when the "improved" version with ramrod bayonet came out in 1890. The new guns were used by State and miliitia troops in Cuba and the Philippines, while the last of the "obsolete" style, not yet fed into the supply chain, survived. Show me a "mint" TD today, and the odds are VERY high that it will be in the 460-475K range, cartouched [SWP/1889].
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-11-2017 at 07:30.

First ship I was on was an old Navy seaplane tender that had lived an easy life on the west coast. Some kind of order came down and we snipes had to inventory every piece of equipment and all the parts on hand. Engineering had a huge space for parts and it was full of VERY expensive stuff. Anything that wasn't supposed to be on inventory got tossed into blue water. I just about cried throwing a beautiful Fairbanks Morse salt water pump, brand new and shiny, all brass and monel, over the side. It took 3 guys to heave a shore tie, twisted copper cable a big around as my arm. I think the same process went on with the gunners' lockers and the deck force stores.

Sailors tend to be pack rats, maybe because they don't have to carry that stuff on their backs.

jn

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I think that applies to the government in general. Original crates of Model 1884 .45-70 rifles were still turning up in the 1940's. A great number of that particular model were apparently put aside when the "improved" version with ramrod bayonet came out in 1890. The new guns were used by State and miliitia troops in Cuba and the Philippines, while the last of the "obsolete" style, not yet fed into the supply chain, survived. Show me a "mint" TD today, and the odds are VERY high that it will be in the 460-475K range, cartouched [SWP/1889].
    Yep my nice one with good bore wood and good color case hardening is a 1889 in your serial number range.