Thread: Garand wood

1. Default Garand wood

I have several stocks and some handguards I have accumulated over the years. I don't see me using them. They range from brand new Boyd stocks to some old (walnut) stuff. They are minus the hardware. One is PB from a parts kit. Just curious what the folks here think they are worth. Nothing fancy in the lot, no cartouches etc. I don't know if I'll let them go or not right now. TIA Brad

Need pics. From your vague description I'd tell you about $50 for the butt stocks and $15 for the hand guards.
    Jon

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
    Need pics. From your vague description I'd tell you about $50 for the butt stocks and $15 for the hand guards.
    Jon
    What is vague about brand new Boyd stocks? I gave a general description. I can guarantee you I won't be selling ANY Garand wood for the prices you came up with. I'm looking for a average price from someone who knows. IF I decide to sell I can provide pics to serious buyers.

Beat up stocks that I use to pay 5 bucks for are now going 40 or more. How much you can get depends on what the current buying marked is like.
    Sam

Boyds with handguards 100.00 or so depending on grain and metal. USGI in good cond. 85. or so. USGI with good cartouch 100-400.

International stocks with good cartouche and Julian date will bring north of 6 to 700 dollars. I wish I had a few more to sell. Just throwing that out in case you have one.

I'd be thinking brand new Boyd stocks are worth what you paid for 'em at a gun show.
    Milsurp stuff will depend on the condition. I'd judge Stateside prices by what Gunparts wants. Give you an idea at least.
    A used G.I. front hand guard in need of care and no metal runs around $30. Refinished doesn't add a lot. Stocks depend on condition, refinished or not and the kind of wood. Birch being less than walnut, but all of 'em are starting at $50ish.
    The stuff is listed under U.S. Military on their site.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Brad in Idaho View Post
    What is vague about brand new Boyd stocks? I gave a general description. I can guarantee you I won't be selling ANY Garand wood for the prices you came up with. I'm looking for a average price from someone who knows. IF I decide to sell I can provide pics to serious buyers.
    To be fair, I don't think he was referring to the Boyd's. "Old Walnut Stuff" that are nothing fancy and with no markings are not in very high demand, especially if they are dinged up and you made no mention of lockup or whether they had been heavily sanded, which are very important to know among potential buyers.... I picked up a decent set at a local gun show recently for $60. You may be able to get more, but pics might help decide that better than general descriptions that leave a lot of important questions unanswered.
    Last edited by TSimonetti; 02-03-2017 at 12:42.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    I'd be thinking brand new Boyd stocks are worth what you paid for 'em at a gun show.
    Milsurp stuff will depend on the condition. I'd judge Stateside prices by what Gunparts wants. Give you an idea at least.
    A used G.I. front hand guard in need of care and no metal runs around $30. Refinished doesn't add a lot. Stocks depend on condition, refinished or not and the kind of wood. Birch being less than walnut, but all of 'em are starting at $50ish.
    The stuff is listed under U.S. Military on their site.
    Thanks, I'll check out some other sites too.