Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It was intended to shoot .30 M1906 ammo with a flat based 150 grain bullet at 2700 fps. Any load in that neighbourhood will be fine.
    Bolt actions do not have the supposed issues later M1 Rifles are reported to have. Just work up a load and you'll be fine.
    I'd be thinking a 150 grain match bullet with IMR4064 myself. But the Hornady FMJ will do nicely too.
    "...It shot M2 ball very well..." Exactly what was issued to the troopies who got 'em early in the U.S. for W.W. II and the odd Pattern 17 sent to the Brits under Lend/Lease.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I appreciate the guidance. So is the 30-06 repackaged into CMP boxes a few years back M2? I'll take a bit of that to the range too, the worst that could happen is I get some more brass for loading. Might be interesting to take one apart too.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    It was intended to shoot .30 M1906 ammo with a flat based 150 grain bullet at 2700 fps. Any load in that neighbourhood will be fine.
    Bolt actions do not have the supposed issues later M1 Rifles are reported to have. Just work up a load and you'll be fine.
    I'd be thinking a 150 grain match bullet with IMR4064 myself. But the Hornady FMJ will do nicely too.
    "...It shot M2 ball very well..." Exactly what was issued to the troopies who got 'em early in the U.S. for W.W. II and the odd Pattern 17 sent to the Brits under Lend/Lease.
    Yes I'm aware of that. The point was making was I'm saving my M2 ball for the Garands for the reasons you mentioned.
    Last edited by p246; 01-30-2017 at 03:48.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig from kazoo View Post
    I appreciate the guidance. So is the 30-06 repackaged into CMP boxes a few years back M2? I'll take a bit of that to the range too, the worst that could happen is I get some more brass for loading. Might be interesting to take one apart too.
    Yes I'm assuming you are talking about Greek HXP. It is an M2 round and a great value based on other options.

5. Default

My 1917 doesn't like M2 as well as the 173gr M1/M72 bullets. I have reserved my M2 for Garand blasting ammo.

The Classic 168 gr BTHP match bullet would be a good choice. Any powder from 4895 to H4350 would be fine in a 1917.

i gotta try to remember and file this for later use...
    Tango mike guys'...
    bombdog...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

7. Default

My Win 1917 does great with SMK 168's with 47gr 4064, but did poorly with 155 gr HPBT bullets also liked Greek HXP ball, but 168's were best All original lend-lease 1918 rifle with red paint on forestock with 30-06 in black very nice rifle

My accurate 1917 with the 10x powers scope shoots sub moa with the SMK and the 4064. Winchester is my favorite brass which I fire form, neck size, deburr the flash hole, and unify the primer pocket.

SMK work great in my 1917 but not in my M-1 which likes Speer 168 gr match. My only guess is the Speer has more bearing surface than the SMK.

How about your case's trim-to length's tolerances? I'm going for 2.485" and have been only proceeding with what I could hold to +.002/-.000. Wondering if that's wasteful or meaningful? They all pass the Wilson case gage length and headspace (or get tossed).

Thanks

Craig

I use a Lee case trimmer with an electric screwdriver. It has been a long time since I've reloaded and forgot what it trims to.

It's not adjustable