Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default M1917 load data request

I have an M1917 Winchester VFW return that's been re-barreled with a J A replacement barrel. It's the 2 land and groove barrel, and is new old stock. Also have a bit of '68 LC brass that's currently being prepared for loading for this rifle.

There doesn't seem to be an abundance of load data for the M1917, and I'm curious what you gentleman are having success with. I'm planning on loading with 4064 and a 150gr Spitzer flat base, and a 168gr boat tail to start with. But that's based on scant data, and I welcome any guidance and experience you may have.

Thanks, Craig

The flat base 150 gr bullets is what the rifle was designed to shoot. It will shoot the flat base better then the same weight with a boat tail. The longer heavier bullets with a boat tail are OK to use in it as there is more bearing surface for the bullet to grab the rifling to stabilize. Just about any powder will work in the 30-06 for use in the 1917. 4064 and 4350 always seemed to be in the mix for accuracy loads. The 4350 is not recommended for use in a Garand though. But does well in the 1917.

Thanks Tuna, then I have the components already. Is there a fps range the 1917 likes, or is it pretty much the same as the M1?

Craig

If i may, what brand are those 150 FB spitzers??? And from where did you acquire them??? i've been searching for those rounds to make some M2 rounds for my M1...
    bombdog...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

I've had them for a bit, so don't let my old inventory reflect any current availability. They're Sierra 150gr. Spitzer, flat based, #2130 Pro Hunter and have a lead tip. I may have had them for six or so years.

Hey I just checked and Midway has them on sale for $25.97.
    Last edited by Craig from kazoo; 01-28-2017 at 07:24. Reason: update availability

Before you start, consider buying Sierra's reloading manual titled "Rifle and Handgun Reloading Data." It's a loose leaf binder (1150 pages) and contains numerous data sheets that cover the various bullet types and calibers that Sierra manufactures and lists the corresponding powder charge requirements from all the powder OEMs and the velocities (FPS) that different powder load weights produce. It also contains dimensional data for each cartridge type and caliber. I bought my copy from a gunsmith for somewhere around $35. You can probably order the manual directly form Sierra. You can register with Sierra for updates to their manual.

Thanks, had it for years, I didn't know about the updates though. Planned on getting my loads from that manual for their #2130 when I had an idea of the FPS. They have load data for their 150gr with 4064 so figured it'd be an easy cross reference.

Bunch of interesting reading in that manual too. Rates right up there with a judiciously used case gage I've learned lol.

Craig

Craig, do you shoot in the monthly matches at KRGC?
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

No I don't, although my buddies a member and we shoot there frequently. Maybe I'll talk to him, it'd good fun with these old battle rifles. Be fun to be able to take a hundred year old rifle (almost) and ring that gong with iron sight too!

Craig

I load 47 grains varget over 168 smk, HXP brass and Federal 210 primers (thinking of switching to Winchester because Federal 210's have been a PIA to find). This load is not timed to the sight but shoots very accurately with a six oclock hold for the 200yard competition we shoot locally. Once again as Tuna said the heavier boat tail works well in this rifle because of the long bearing surface. However, it has a very good bore. It shot M2 ball very well when I tried it. However, I decided to save all my M2 ball for the Garands and worked up this load for this particular competition. Your FB bullets will work great at ranges most people shoot at. It will also make a great hunting bullet if you decide to take the beast out for deer season.