1. Default Springfield Armory built 1911 N.M. pistol

A question for the 1911 experts.... In regards to the early 1960's Springfield Armory built National Match pistol's on the Remington Rand frame. I see different recoil springs available ( pounds?) and was wondering what was the original type spring installed and what does the other spring rate's offer you if you up-grade? Thanks!
    Last edited by 19coupe55; 01-27-2017 at 02:27.

The factory hardball spring rate was 16#. Wadcutter only guns was less, 14# ? I just don't remember right now. Pistols I work on I recommend 18.5# as they seem to function better and help with longevity of a pistol that is shot a bunch with hardball and defense rounds.

HTH,

Emri

Blog Entries

All the 1960's Springfield Armory as well as the Rock Island Arsenal built 1911 National Match pistols were not built on Remington Rand frames. I have one that is built on an Ithica frame.

If you are having problems with the pistol reliably feeding 230 grain hardball you might try the 18# spring, but otherwise stick with the 16#. While the 18# slows the slide down coming back it speeds it up going forward. Browning designed the receiver to take the recoil of the slide, but only the slide stop and the legs on the barrel lug stop it going forward.

I have a Series 70 GCNM with a 16# that reliably functions with both 185 gr. WC as well as 230 gr. ball.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
    All the 1960's Springfield Armory as well as the Rock Island Arsenal built 1911 National Match pistols were not built on Remington Rand frames. I have one that is built on an Ithica frame.
    Herschel, I'm not sure what your saying. My pistol has a Remington Rand frame, is it possible N.M. pistol's used any frame that was selected or are you saying that Remington frames were never used? Thanks...