Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    How does a "carbine frame" differ from a "rifle frame"?

Like a trapdoor receiver, I thought these receivers were all the same!
    The two receivers vary only in their date markings - "1898" for rifles, "1899" for carbines. The importance of such a distinction escapes me, but it obviously mattered to the OD at the time. Actually, when you come to think of it, that fetish is actually a huge (if unintended) boon to the collectors of today, by exposing any number of "incorrect" pieces now offered for sale.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    The two receivers vary only in their date markings - "1898" for rifles, "1899" for carbines.
    Which, "date," is the crux.

The importance of such a distinction escapes me, but it obviously mattered to the OD at the time.
    With the receivers having a "date" stamp (1894/1895/1896) much confusion resulted. It came down from on high that they'd have a "Model" marking right? Model of 1896. Piece one.
    Model changes when interchangeability is lost. Piece two.
    The "Model of 1898" carbine existed. Piece three.

Model of 1899 was up next. Differentiated them from the Model of 1898 carbine.

Early on in those games so it was kind of messy. They overstamped some "1898" receivers to "1899" for carbines yet didn't overstamp the Model of 1898 carbines with Model of 1899 when those were upgraded. Messy.

Thanks, gentlemen, I assumed as much - but just wanted to run it by you.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis