Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So called "Philippine Constabulary" rifle

I saw this Krag on Gunbroker and generally, I ignore those I see advertised as "Philippine Constabulary" rifles and/or carbines. However, I did see the "block" JFC stamp, which I rarely see on Krags. I believe Brophy did say was seen on some PC carbines or rifles.

Thought I'd throw it out there for your consideration:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/615736607
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

What is the price, I have always wanted one, even tho it is probably a 'school rifle'.
    You can never go home again.

Thanks, Rick. However, someone has attempted to "enhance" the [JFC] cartouche, visible at lower edge, and really screwed with the (P). Serial number range is possibly wrong - at the very least it is not from a carbine area. Rear sight is questionable, and unusual in that most genuine "school guns" (it is absolutely NOT a PCR!) use M1901C sights. The barrel turning/crowning looks a little hinky. I'd pass.

What is the "correct" serial number range. I have two rifle/carbines I would like to check.

Most (seemingly) "right" ones I have seen are in the 220-230K range. Of course, it is a VERY easy model to fake, and there is no absolute hard and fast guideline to follow. A small point, not widely known, is that -since they were intended for use with the 1905 bayonet - the front of the bayonet lug should be beveled like that of a 1903. It is very easy to file a little flat - what counts is that the flat should show age and wear commensurate with the rest of the band.

6. Default

Looks very dubious. Generally the PC rifles were built on 1899 carbine frames, not 1898 rifles. Bill Mook claimed even the proper appearing PC's were just "school guns" but there are well built examples out there that look to be consistent with Springfield workmanship. I have several including one with a 24 inch barrel.

7. Default

The 24 inch barrel is not likely of Springfield origin.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Generally the PC rifles were built on 1899 carbine frames, not 1898 rifles. . . . .
    How does a "carbine frame" differ from a "rifle frame"?

Like a trapdoor receiver, I thought these receivers were all the same!

The serial numbers on mine are 226443 and 287918. Both are '99 carbine receivers.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I believe Brophy did say was seen on some PC carbines or rifles.
    That was a swing and a miss. Coyle didn't work in Manila. Kind of hard to argue with the reports from Manila on them doing the work. Reasons detailed in the book along with numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    and unusual in that most genuine "school guns" (it is absolutely NOT a PCR!) use M1901C sights.
    1898/1901/1902. The sight soup. The 1902 replacing the 1901 was one bit I had a hard time figuring out. Then I reviewed the blueprints for the M-1903 and it became crystal clear.

Yes, they should have 1901 sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    Bill Mook claimed even the proper appearing PC's were just "school guns"
    Whereas Brophy blew it on these Mook was correct and he even knew why.

If you'd like the rest of the story of the PCs it's on page 262 of Lieutenant Colonel John George's "Shots Fired in Anger." Page 262.

Dat's dem.