Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1917 barrel?

1. Default 1917 barrel?

I posted in the want ads of this forum but thought I should take a chance that some 1917 owners may not frequent the classifieds sections so I would like to add that I am looking for a good 1917 original condition 30-06 barrel.
    Not a wall hanger or for collections but to use as a shooter , New Old stock is also welcomed.
    PM me with details please.
    Thanks
    Ron

I think the 1917 Criterion barrels that the CMP sells would be just the ticket. Check them out.

Ron, wanted to do the same a couple of years ago when I picked up a '17 with a toasted barrel. Looked and looked, came up with nothing. Went with the CMP barrel. Had I to do it over again, I'd have had the barrel relined. That way I could have saved the 'original barrel'.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

4. Default

Really do not want a new manufacture rather have an old one that is good bore.
    Dan I know what you mean , I sold and traded a lot of stuff I wish I had kept.
    Hopefully someone will have a barrel that they realize they will never use.
    Best
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    Ron, wanted to do the same a couple of years ago when I picked up a '17 with a toasted barrel. Looked and looked, came up with nothing. Went with the CMP barrel. Had I to do it over again, I'd have had the barrel relined. That way I could have saved the 'original barrel'.
    With the pressure generated with the 30-06 I am not sure that a liner would stay in.
    Sam

If you want a barrel you will have to buy a gun that has it.

There are zero OEM barrels out there. In 5 years I have seen one, it was going North of 300 when I quit bidding.

I have some with good TE and MW measurements I am happy to sell for the right price. PM me if you want.

Short of that a Criterion will do wonderfully.

7. Default

PM sent

You should troll on Ebay. I've found a couple 1917 barrels
    over the past few years. Usually missmarked as to what they are. I just scored an A3 barrel this weekend labeled as; "Vintage military barrel ... in cosmoline" for $49.99. There's no telling how many good buys are out there from individuals who have no idea what they are selling and it's value.
    Last edited by Dave in NGA; 01-29-2017 at 03:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in NGA View Post
    You should troll on Ebay. I've found a couple 1917 barrels
    over the past few years. Usually missmarked as to what they are. I just scored an A3 barrel this weekend labeled as; "Vintage military barrel ... in cosmoline" for $49.99. There's no telling how many good buys are out there from individuals who have no idea what they are selling and it's value.
    Great find. Just looked under "Vintage Military Barrel" (sold listings), and there it was. Never thought to look for barrels on eBay. Since only 1/2 half of the barrel was visible, I'm really curious to know how you recognized it as an A3 barrel when the only stamp mark showing was an A80?
    Last edited by Merc; 01-29-2017 at 09:16.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Great find. Just looked under "Vintage Military Barrel" (sold listings), and there it was. Never thought to look for barrels on eBay. Since only 1/2 half of the barrel was visible, I'm really curious to know how you recognized it as an A3 barrel when the only stamp mark showing was an A80?
    I trolled Ebay and all the auctions sites till I finally gave up and asked on various gun forums.

Bought a new olds stock one last night off this very Forum.
    A forum I have read for years,
    This forum is laid back and lots of older guys hang here.
    Some fart knocker has placed a virus on this forum and I have to clean my PC after I have visited here.
    Scum bags.
    I always enjoy reading here.
    Ron