Aligater Guest

Default CMP 30-06 M2 Ball Greek Misfires

I bought 400 rounds of the Greek Ammo......tried it with my old Savage 110. About once in about every 12 shots, I would get a misfire. In each case the primer was well dented.....I had to conclude that the ammo shoots well and is reasonably accurate, but that it is very unreliable...no more Greek stuff from the CMP.......anybody have a similar experience?

Bruce

Works just fine in my M1.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Have fired about a case in several different rifles... 03, 03-A3 and M-1 Garand as well as a Rem. 700 (ca. 1985). All of these rifles have always worked perfectly with every load used. All of them have given perfect function/fire with the Greek HXP M-2 ball. I typically use the Greek HXP to target my rifles, check zero, etc. Some lots have been good enough for local club matches. In my 03-A4 replica, the lot of HXP that I am using produces five groups of five shots each that average 1.5 inches. That same rifle will shoot MOA or less with several handloads using common bullets by Sierra, Speer, Hornady. We have been doing vintage military rifle type matches at the club for a number of years. The vast majority of shooters use the Greek HXP ammo for the matches since they are only fired at 100 yds. I have not ever seen anyone have a problem with the ammo at a match.

It is common to military rifles that they will have a heavy firing pin impact. Compared to modern commercial rifles, military rifles such as the 03, 03-A3 and M-1 Garand will have firing assemblies that are heavier, that move a longer distance before impact and that hit with a great deal of force, probably more than one would experience with a standard commercial rifle produced by Remington, Winchester, Savage, etc. It is common for military ammunition to have primers that are a bit harder, since the ammunition is often used in automatic weapons. This might possibly have something to do with the less than consistent results you are getting with the HXP in your Savage 110 rifle. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Blog Entries

My experiences are the same as bruce's. I've fired at least 2k rounds through my 03's and M1's and they went bang every time. HXP is sold for our 200 yard club matches and I don't recal an ammo related alibi.

I guess you got a bad lot.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I have also shot a lot of Greek 30-06 and love the stuff for the price. I have had a few bad primers and interestingly enough they have all been 1977 dated. Being cheap I eventually pulled them down reprimed them and shot em. In saying that most of the 77 stuff did light.
    Last edited by p246; 01-25-2017 at 09:45.

Mine have all gone bang. But, as a reloader, I have complaints about the softness of some of the 70's stuff. My M1 sometimes damages the rim to the point where the shells cannot be reused. I have since relegated them to strictly M1903 use.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Run many k of the stuff through different rifles and not a single problem from here.

Works just fine in all of my guns.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

9. Default

OP do you have a 1903 or Garand to try them in? Are any of the cases discolored or corroded in any significant amount? I have same experience as the others with 1960's and 70's vintage HXP. I'm guessing your ammo will fire in a GI rifle.