Blog Entries

Default S in cutoff full pg stock?

Today I had to get a filling redone and as I have sensitive teeth, was pumped full of novacaine and nitrous oxide. Neither worked and I was sent away with a medicated filling.

I hit an LGS nearby and they had a rebuilt A3 with a full pistol grip stock with an S and a sub inspector letter in the cutoff recess.

Did I find a rare bird? My mouth is still sore and I bit my tounge hard enough to bleed a few hours, so I'm not in my right mind!

On edit, it felt like a pre war C, had a milled guard, all parked, 3.9 mil RA with 43 barrel. Nothing on the wrist and I didn't even look for the P. I probably shouldn't have been driving.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 01-18-2017 at 10:08.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

2. Default

I know of the S in the cutoff only from 1903 rifles, but not from 03A3 rifles. Did it have any other inspection markings on it?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    I know of the S in the cutoff only from 1903 rifles, but not from 03A3 rifles. Did it have any other inspection markings on it?
    Just another single letter above and smaller than the S
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Phillip,

Check out this site for stamping info. The letter S in the cutoff recess is mentioned.

https://sites.google.com/site/wwii19.../stock-example

Springfield manufactured C stock.

And altered outside of the military for the A3 recoil lug and handguard ring.

Mike

Default scant stock for 1903A1

I bought this scant stock from a dealer who purchased quite a lot of wood from Rock Island during
    the 1980's. Stock looks new and I had to use BLO on itDSCN1460.jpgDSCN1461.jpgDSCN1462.jpgDSCN1463.jpg

Default S in cut-off

This is a later NM 1903A1 stock, the rifle serial number is stamped near the D-1836 drawing number, the serial is

P1010070_0054.jpg