1. Default Colt Pocket Positive: U.S. Property?

I own a Colt Pocket Positive that once belonged to a woman who was an Army officer stationed in Europe during WWII. The revolver is blued, 2.5" bbl., .32 NP caliber; it is in perfect condition, not a scratch-until you look at the butt. The bottom of the pistol grip has been crudely filed to bare metal. I suspect it was once marked "United State Property" but can find no reference to this model as secondary martial arm. It may have been a police trade-in but I've never seen an ex-police pistol this clean. Thoughts?

Blog Entries

Coincidentally, I was reading this today.

"During World War Two Detective Specials were made for the US Government, often with the old original pre-1933 square butt. It's believed that these were simply pre-war Police Positive Special frames fitted with 2 inch barrels as a war-time expedient."

http://www.coltfever.com/Detective_Special.html
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

3. Default

Thanks for the input Phillip. My PP serial number pegs it 1941-43 production. I've sent for a letter from Colt; should hear from them in 90-180 days.

would it have been issued to the u.s. government in 32 new police?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mike9905 View Post
    Thanks for the input Phillip. My PP serial number pegs it 1941-43 production. I've sent for a letter from Colt; should hear from them in 90-180 days.
    You're welcome. Please post back when you get the letter.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

6. Default

Well, I received my letter from the Colt archives today and the revolver was not U.S. Property marked. It was one of 27 revolvers ordered by and shipped to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., March 29, 1941. The markings filed off the butt were "N.G.A." followed by a number of 62 through 88. That's it. I know it belonged to a WAC officer who served overseas, but there is no evidence how she obtained it or if it went with her. Based on condition the revolver probably never left the factory box. End of story. Anything else is speculation.

7. Default

Sorry I'm late to this thread but I'm wondering if the Colt letter shows that the guns went through Joseph Lorch?

8. Default

Sold to H.A. McBride, National Gallery of Art, shipped to Joseph A. Lorch, March 29, 1941. Please school me.

9. Default

Joseph Lorch was a dealer/distributor in Washington D.C. and handled all the Colts that went to government customers. I've also sent you a PM. Thanks for you response.