1. Default 2 questions re: 12-36 dated /1505659 serial #-odd bronze receiver finish

I'm looking at a Greek "mix-master" that appears to have the original barrel and N.S. bolt body, all in very decent condition. The parkerizing appears to be the standard, dark-gray GI type I would expect from a late production rifle (as opposed to the "inky" black finish often encountered on these Greek returns). The lone exception is the receiver, which is a distinct bronze color. The receiver is nice and clean, with sharp, crisp markings and no evidence of being sand blasted. Can anyone shed any light on the odd receiver finish, or the likelihood of the barrel being original to the receiver? Thanks in advance for your help.

I've never seen a 1903 with a bronze colored receiver, but then, refinishing by other countries has sometimes produced unusual colors. (I have an M1 carbine returned by the Austrians with an unusual plum colored trigger housing.)

According to John Beard's data (http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html), it appears that the receiver was made in the latter half of 1937 and would likely have had a 1937 or 1938 dated SA barrel. What is the date on the barrel? Have you physically seen this rifle or are you looking at pictures?
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

3. Default

The barrel date is 12-36, which seems to coincide with Col. Brophy's estimate of a beginning point of #1,505,411 and ending point of #1,510,016 for 1936 receiver production. That doesn't mean it's original, but it does seem to be a possibility. Again, the serial# on the rifle in question is 1,505,659. I'm still somewhat flummoxed by the bronze color park job. Like you Joe, I've never seen anything like it before. Thanks again for your input.

Photo?

I want to say the rifle has been reviewed on here before. I have seen a lot of Greek return rifles, both volunteering at the CMP when they came in and more since, and that is the oddest colored receiver I have ever seen. I would suggest contacting John Beard and asking his opinion.

6. Default

Reblued with a wrong temperature.

greek return likely,on the receiver,
    they hot salts blued alot of them, some good some not so good,
    plum color is to hot of temp, or depleted salts..or both.
    having it reparked would improve its curb appeal
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I concur with both Promo and chuckindenver.