Threaded View

Default My, my... NRA match service rifles have CHANGED....

My entire NRA high power career was spent in '06 and 7.62 service rifles, M-1s, the M-14, and M-1As. Shot my old ARs in the Navy and 3 gun as well as hunting. Today I was on the range zeroing some hunting rifles and a friend who is a current high master showed up with a flat top AR, bull barrel, Nightforce scope (max 4.5 power). This gun weighs at least 16 lbs. unloaded! It's harder to hold in offhand than an old Winchester 52D! I was just astonished, the level of fitness just to use this firearm is stunning. I felt like a little kid trying to aim in his daddy's deer rifle.

I asked him if the service rifle events are set up with separate awards for irons and glass and he said no, all are just considered Service rifles. CMP, he said, is different; it's still all irons but he expects that will change as well. I guess my old HBAR with Leupold 4x on a Leatherwood carry handle mount is now an NRA legal service rifle! Who'd a thunk? Actually... Anyone who has been watching the nightly news for the last 15 years and every troop you see has Acogs or other kinds of glass on their 16's... I gots to shoot an NRA match looking like a real old guy with that Leupold heck I might put it on my triangle hand guard SP-1.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 01-11-2017 at 08:23.