Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Not being a collector

all my rifles must be shooters, not vault queens. I am not really worried about stock markings, all parts like numbered, rebuild marks or dates. It can be a mixmaster beater, not cut down or sporterized, but all parts must work together and it must be safe and reliable. So with all that said, what would be a fair purchase price for such a Model of 1917; if I can come across one?

My children and grand-children build intrinsic value into something by sharing and using it and passing it down not putting it away for possible future appreciation.

I can't speak to the gun market in Phoenix, but when I was looking for my '17 a year ago in the Pittsburgh market, I found the average price range for a decent M1917 mixmaster at dealers and gun shows was somewhere between $600 and $800 give or take. Add or subtract a couple hundred dollars for a pristine example or for one that's in less than average condition. Come prepared with your bore light, headspace field gauge and a muzzle erosion gauge to check for corrosion damage and excessive wear. All of these test/inspection items are fairly inexpensive and might help you avoid buyer's remorse since you're looking for a shooter. I agree with you that I don't want a gun that I can't shoot.

In Kansas if your patient you can find very good examples for $500.00. But the average asking price is higher. I held out and paid $500.00 for a nice matched M1917 but I waited until someone had a fire sale. If I wanted a very nice one right now I'd expect to pay $600 to $650 and $500.00 for a mix master that's in shootable condition. That being said I hear stories of guys finding them for cheaper prices but I think its being in the right place at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    I can't speak to the gun market in Phoenix, but when I was looking for my '17 a year ago in the Pittsburgh market, I found the average price range for a decent M1917 mixmaster at dealers and gun shows was somewhere between $600 and $800 give or take. Add or subtract a couple hundred dollars for a pristine example or for one that's in less than average condition. Come prepared with your bore light, headspace field gauge and a muzzle erosion gauge to check for corrosion damage and excessive wear. All of these test/inspection items are fairly inexpensive and might help you avoid buyer's remorse since you're looking for a shooter. I agree with you that I don't want a gun that I can't shoot.
    I might add that the above were asking prices, not selling prices. If you find one that you like and it passes your inspection, make the seller an offer.

Update: "United States Rifle Model Of 1917" by C.S. Ferris is an excellent book on the rifle and is available online. It has a lot of good information about the M1917.
    Last edited by Merc; 01-12-2017 at 08:07.

Here in MI they are asking 600-800 for '17's, no matter if matched or not. I can not ever remember seeing one that was a 'beater', they tend to be in G-VG condition. They are getting 'lil scares here. I am talking gun shows, few GS in my area.
    You can never go home again.

Winchester M1917s tend to be more expensive than E and R. W made fewer 17s than E and R plus the parts interchangeability issues kept the early 17s out of the war.

Figure $800 for a "field grade" mixmaster with a decent original barrel. Beware of the VFW turn-ins. The vets fired their ceremonial volleys with corrosive blanks. After the ceremony, they retired to the local bar. Barrels are toast. The one I got from the CMP would keyhole at 25 yards! The inside of the barrel looked like the surface of the moon.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    Figure $800 for a "field grade" mixmaster with a decent original barrel. Beware of the VFW turn-ins. The vets fired their ceremonial volleys with corrosive blanks. After the ceremony, they retired to the local bar. Barrels are toast. The one I got from the CMP would keyhole at 25 yards! The inside of the barrel looked like the surface of the moon.
    For years, I didn't think there were m17's with decent barrels. They were at the least dark. But they are out there. I've found a few. $650 isn't bad for a great old time rifle that can be accurate. I did pay $550 for a rifle with a duffle cut stock. I glued and screwed it back toghether. I didn't shoot all that well and I got rid of it.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    I saw what appears to have been a blank fired Eddystone at a gun show a couple of years ago with a fouled bore. My bore light barely penetrated the fouling. The rifle was otherwise in pristine condition. The seller was asking $1200.
    Last edited by Merc; 01-13-2017 at 05:19.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    For years, I didn't think there were m17's with decent barrels. They were at the least dark. But they are out there. I've found a few. $650 isn't bad for a great old time rifle that can be accurate. I did pay $550 for a rifle with a duffle cut stock. I glued and screwed it back toghether. I didn't shoot all that well and I got rid of it.
    I know the feeling. Being able to check barrel condition is the reason I'll never buy a rifle online. I have to see it in person.

The dealer I bought my early Winchester from also had several Eddystones for sale. I looked at all the barrels and the only barrel that had a good amount of rifling remaining was on the Winchester with a low serial number. It was missing two easily replaced external parts and had a replacement stock that's in nice shape. I wound up replacing all the E and R stamped parts except the E bolt and it turned out to be a great shooter.

I made an offer that was substantially less than the asking price. We met half way. He was happy and so was I. The point is, once you find a rifle that you want, make an offer. The asking price is almost always higher than what the seller is willing to accept. All they can say is no. If the price is firm, they'll tell you. Then you'll need to decide if the rifle is worth the money.