Default Question on rear sling swivel ?

My photo shows a early Mark 1*** or Mark III cut-off, a steel but plate for the Mark 1 or Mark 1* and
    a rear sling swivel.

Have received different answers concerning the identity of the rear sling swivel, can someone I.D. it.

Thanks,

RobertDSCN2144.jpg

Looks like the earlier swivel from the Lee Metford and early Long Lee Enfield rifles.
    The buttplate appears to be the sheet metal type sans trap from a run of MLE MkI*'s
    The cutoff is more towards the SMLE. Below is a photo of cutoffs from the early type used on the left, and the SMLE MkIII type on the right.

What have you heard from elsewhere?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I saw one for sale on eBay. Look under "Enfield sling swivels." Guy from Australia is selling it and said it's for a long Lee Enfield 303 MLE.
    Last edited by Merc; 01-11-2017 at 01:51.

I have a Mk 1* converted to a bayonet training rifle. The cut off in it looks exactly like yours and the one JB posted on the left he indicates is a Mk 1*. The sling swivel also looks the same as one I have in my parts bin and I have been told its for a Long Lee. JB has never led me wrong so I'm confident he's right. The guy I bought the swivel from used to collect long lees and L.E. carbines exclusively and knew his stuff also.
    Last edited by p246; 01-11-2017 at 10:08.

Default Mark 1* rear sling swivel

I got this Mark I*** from a friend that worked at Gun Digest many years ago, What caught my eye was the Mark 1 stock with the early
    single screw sling swivel. As the serial number is G 839 (third serial number on the receiver, first two lined out) it could have been a
    set-up to use rifle grenades and then rebuilt back to Mark I*** as there is faint wire wrap markings on the rear handguard, Fore-end is
    modified Mark IIIP1010046_0046.jpgP1010048_0048.jpg

The Mark 1 swivel is different from the one in my first post (also some Martini rear swivels look a little like this one too)

You are on track surmising your MkI*** was probably a grenade rifle with the G prefix. The ER prefix rifles were typically left in MkI trim while the CR prefixed ones were upgraded to an SMLE profile.
    There is a rather lengthy sticky thread over on Gunboards describing the differences and a few of the anomalies. "Fritz" is the go-to guy over there when it comes to Irish rifles.

2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**