Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metford Rifling

In general, 2-groove barrels and 6-groove barrels outshoot 4-groove barrels all-day-long. I don't know why there are so many four groove barrels.
    I used to think 6 groove barrels were magical. But, Springfield Inc. barrels made in Genesco IL were made in, what?, the sixties? So of course they are in good shape and accurate. People hate all things Genesco(or at least, used to), but I will snatch up a six groove Genesco barrel in a heartbeat. In a heartbeat.
    This discussion of Medford barrels and 5-groove barrels is fascinating. The first I've heard of grooves negating corrosive power et,el.
    Last edited by dryheat; 01-12-2017 at 08:57.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

I thought the 5 grove handled hot powders with less TE. Not sure it was a long time ago I read the article and this is coming from a man that cant remember what he had for lunch yesterday.

On the 2 grove barrel. My friend had a o3-a3 Remington that was a amazing shooter. He was crazy about 30-06 rifles and had several but the 03-a3 custom was the most accurate. Another accurate shooter was his P.O. Ackley Mauser. His favorite rifle was a pre 64 Winchester Model 70 even though it wasn't very accurate.

Re: 2 groove 03-A3's. Have owned I don't for sure know how many since the first one I bought in 1979. It has a sewer pipe for a barrel. Still, it'd keep ten rounds under 3 inches at 100yds. firing off my portable benchrest... i.e., roof of my car. Had it rebarreled w/ a new two-groove Rem. 1944 barrel. Results... same handload would go well under 2 inches for 10 shots. Outstanding shooter. Best results ever w/ a 03-A3 was a very clean Rem. 03-A3 w/ 2 groove barrel that with nice handloads would put 10 shots into a hair over 2 inches ... at 200 yds. Stupidly sold it as I was young and dumb. Got two now... a Rem. that I got from my identical-twin brother (deceased) and a SC from the CMP. The Rem. has a four groove barrel. I've had it 22 years. With care I using my normal hunting loads it will reliably hit a Coke can sitting on a piece of 2x4 at 200 yds. The SC has a 2 groove barrel and S stock. I've not targeted it at 200 yds. At 100 yds. using HXP it shoots 2.5 groups for 10 shots. It has proven deadly on medium game (hogs and deer) shootings at normal woods ranges. Longest shot was a nice 8 point buck at 180 paces. Dropped at the shot and never flinched. Church member who helped me pull the buck up the hill looked at my rifle and said, "It don't got no scope!" I replied, "I never needed one." Word got around the men of the church that the preacher could shoot. I figure a lot of it was a excellent rifle. Sincerely. bruce.
    Last edited by bruce; 01-14-2017 at 05:33.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."