Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Which M1 Carbine to pick?

I have an opportunity to get a free M1 carbine. There are 5 I can choose from. They have not been dug out in quite a few years and I know there is one Rock Ola and the rest are Saginaw's or maybe one other make. These are all in very nice condition as they were old DCM or very early CMP club guns from quite a few years ago. No I don't get to trade parts around, I did ask LOL. Never been into carbines what should i take into consideration. Thanks in advance.

update
    Here is what I got to choose from talking to the guy who just got them out. 2 Winchesters one has an Inland barrel, 4 rivet handguard, the other has high wood more dents no bayonet lug original barrel 2 rivet handguard. 1 rockola no bayonet lug 2 rivet handguard original barrel, 1 underwood no bayonet lug seems original. 2 Saginaws with bayonet lugs and 4 rivet handguards. One Inland he says looks like a canoe paddle with a mix match of parts and bayonet lug.
    Last edited by Hpmaster; 01-11-2017 at 08:37. Reason: more details

I'd first look to see if one is original and not overhauled...no matter which maker that would trump anything else. If all are overhauled which they probably are if a shooter I'd get the one in the best condition. If a collector I'd take the rock ola over a Saginaw, but it's hard to say sight unseen.

The DCM carbines seemed to come in different states of rebuild with a few not being rebuilt at all. But most had the rear sight replaced with an adjustable one. Some had the barrel band replaced with a type 2 or a type 3 band. Others went a full rebuild with all parts being updated like safeties and magazine catches. Type 3 and 4 slides are most often found. If these are rebuilt then as p246 said. The Rock-Ola is worth more then the Saginaw Gear carbines if all are equal.

4. Default

Here is what I got to choose from talking to the guy who just got them out. 2 Winchesters one has an Inland barrel, 4 rivet handguard, the other has high wood more dents no bayonet lug original barrel 2 rivet handguard. 1 rockola no bayonet lug 2 rivet handguard original barrel, 1 underwood no bayonet lug seems original. 2 Saginaws with bayonet lugs and 4 rivet handguards. One Inland he says looks like a canoe paddle with a mix match of parts and bayonet lug.
    Last edited by Hpmaster; 01-11-2017 at 08:12.

Saginaw's or Saginaw S'G' ? Makes a difference. An S'G' is generally worth more than an Saginaw and may have IP parts. Otherwise I would pick the Rock-ola (depending upon condition). All look to be outstanding choice's especially since they are free.

Blog Entries

I'd look hard at the high wood Winchester, but I like Winchesters.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Rock-ola or Winchester.

Tell the owner I will give him three times what you paid for any one of them : )

"...see if one is original..." There's really no such thing. None of the original makers made all the parts.
    You want it for shooting, collection or just to have? Likely that the bayonet lugs were removed at sometime as nearly every Carbine had 'em put on after W.W. II.
    You may want to rummage around here a bit if time permits. Includes numbers made and a bunch of other info.
    http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/manufacturers.html
    Spelling and grammar count!

9. Default

carbine2.jpgcarbine1.jpgcarbine3.jpgcarbine4.jpgcarbine5.jpg

Here is the one I took. It was the Rock ola

Very nice. Just be warned though, they are very addictive, especially if you shoot it. Most of us don't stop with just one. You have begun with one of the more sought after makes. Free !!!! Sheesh, we are envious.