Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Op Rod Spring Installation

This week I did the annual thorough cleaning on my M1. I had bought two Wolf op rod springs to replace the worn springs in our son's M1 and mine.

Well getting the old ones off was easy, getting the new ones on turned into a problem. I couldn't get the spring all the way down to the stop on the rod follower. I fiddled with mine and couldn't get it done, then I went to work on the son's rifle and looking at the spring it struck me that it was like a right hand thread nut!! So I tried to screw it on....SUCCESS!!

I don't know if this is the approved method but it worked.

When I have had difficulty, I almost always find broken pieces in the op rod.

FYI Wolf springs have been known to cause feeding problems. YMMV
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Shapiro View Post
    FYI Wolf springs have been known to cause feeding problems. YMMV
    I hadn't heard that, will let you know how it performs when I take it out next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I hadn't heard that, will let you know how it performs when I take it out next week.
    Yep. Wolf springs may be a good choice for many types of guns but they can cause issues in an M1. Best replacement spring is the Orion7 stainless spring.
    I collect expensive hobbies.

Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post
    Yep. Wolf springs may be a good choice for many types of guns but they can cause issues in an M1. Best replacement spring is the Orion7 stainless spring.
    Yep! Orion7 is THE best replacement spring and I didn't have to "screw" mine in. 8-)

I may be "repenting at leisure." I bought them because of a guy who swears by them as replacement pistol springs. So...I may not even shoot the rifles with these springs and just order the Orion7s. I've never shot an M1 with a brand new spring so don't know what they're supposed to feel like, but our boy says the one in his rifle is so strong he's worried about slam fires. He got me doing some research I should have done in advance and I read a some customer reviews including one of an old boy who said he had indeed had slam fires with those really stout Wolf springs, another said he'd bought several and had to trim some of the length to get reliable functioning. Fortunately little money is involved.

I imagine Orion7 makes M1 Carbine springs and I'll be buying one of those too.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Art; 01-08-2017 at 05:13.

Blog Entries

I can't fathom how a Garand with proper firing pin bridge and firing pin tail could ever slamfire with a properly seated primer.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries

PhillipM,

I agree.

Agreed.
    Quote Originally Posted by M1Riflenut View Post