Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default "C" marked NM rifles

An old and 03-knowledgeable friend claims that most or all NM rifles were stamped with a C followed by an unrecalled six digit number about 1/16" high on the bottom of the rear sight base. I've never seen any mention of such in standard 03 reference literature but have learned to take this gentleman's opinions seriously. Does anyone have any info re the above before I feel compelled to take some guns apart and look for it?

I believe your friend is talking about the practice in the late 1930s of marking some M1903 parts with a drawing number, like you see on M1 Garands. A good example is the handguard made in the late 1930s - it had a D28179 stamp on the top. While such parts were used on National Match M1903s, they are also seen on regular service rifles of that period.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

It does show up on the late NM's. But my understanding of it is it is not exclusive to the NM's. I have always been told that SA started to mark parts late with the drawning number.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 01-06-2017 at 08:37.

4. Default C stamp

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    It does show up on the late NM's. But my understanding of it is it is not exclusive to the NM's. I have always been told that SA started to mark parts late with the drawning number.
    Thanks for the replies, guys. I believe late M2s have C prefixed numbers ..so, does the "c" prefixed stamp appear only on the rear sight band, or in other places?

Several other parts, as well, although I'd have to look to see for sure.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Probably the zenith of the drawing number marked parts was the early M1 Rifle. Eventually most of the parts lost their drawing number.

The letter from A to D represented the standard size of the sheet of engineering drawing paper the part was drawn up on, thus the name "Drawing Number." The drawings were filed by size, and I suppose in numerical order. A was the smallest sheet with D being the largest.

Shown below are a few parts with their drawing number, the oddest being the long lower buttplate screw.

Default a few numbered 1903 parts

I have found a few numbered parts over the years, the drawing number on the trigger is not
    National Match - that has a different drawing numberP1010030_0023_023.jpgP1010026_1_0022_022.jpgP1010046_0041.jpgP1010003_0003.jpgP1010047_0038.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dokcop View Post
    An old and 03-knowledgeable friend claims that most or all NM rifles were stamped with a C followed by an unrecalled six digit number about 1/16" high on the bottom of the rear sight base. I've never seen any mention of such in standard 03 reference literature but have learned to take this gentleman's opinions seriously. Does anyone have any info re the above before I feel compelled to take some guns apart and look for it?
    Seasons' Greetings!

The number you refer to is "C 64112". This drawing number first appeared on National Match barrels beginning in late 1936. Earlier National Match rifles were not numbered.

But be not deceived. Drawing number "C 63934" appeared on service rifle barrels over the same time frame. So unless you make the distinction, presence of a "C"-prefixed six-digit number is no assurance of a National Match rifle.

Happy New Year!

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 01-06-2017 at 05:21.

Something else that may be applicable is the star gauge numbers, generally on the barrels just ahead of the rear sight base. Can't say "all" but a majority of what I've seen are C and three to four digits long like C 2139.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy A View Post
    Something else that may be applicable is the star gauge numbers, generally on the barrels just ahead of the rear sight base. Can't say "all" but a majority of what I've seen are C and three to four digits long like C 2139.
    Seasons' Greetings!

With no intention of bursting your bubble, star gauge record number prefixes cover many, if not most letters of the alphabet. And the numbers range from single to four digits.

Happy New Year!

J.B.