Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Smith & Wesson Model 18-4, .22 LR Combat Masterpiece

Scored this beauty not long ago. It's a dash 4 with a pinned bbl so looks to be manufactured between 1977 and 1981.

Model 18-4 NTWS REVERSE.JPG Model 18-4 NTWS.JPG

Very nice. I have a mod 17 that is my first "go to" gun. I have shot it a lot and it is very accurate. Nothing seems to equal the quality and fit of these 70's Smiths.

Yep have one like it. Very accurate and the finish is so pretty. Use to be cheap to shoot....hopefully it will be again.

Have owned one or more M-18's since 1983. Simply outstanding revolver. Ideal for range or field. No other firearm is so affordable to shoot. Everyone needs at least one! JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

One of the last firearms on my "lust list." I shot them in training at the old Border Patrol Academy and fell in love with them. Somehow I never bought one and you just don't see them much and when you do they are not cheap.

Beautiful revolver, you did good .

Yes, I'm quite happy with this latest Model 18 acquisition. I like it a lot better than the two Model 617s I 've had. Just something about the beautiful blue finish and overall fit of the K-frame revolver vs an L-frame. In case you didn't notice, it also has the wider, target hammer and trigger. I have since put a nice set of target stocks on it and it handles very much like a Model 15 .38 and Model 19 .357 Mag.

Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyaji View Post
    ........... it handles very much like a Model 15 .38 and Model 19 .357 Mag.
    That's because it's a "K" frame and basically the same thing as those other guns. Except for a hammer and firing pin modified to fire rim fire ammunition and the size of the holes in the barrel and cylinder, the parts are almost completely interchangeable which was part of the idea for making it in the first place.

I did notice the target hammer and trigger, they are great for single action shooting but the wide target triggers can complicate double action shooting just a little bit. I would love one with the target hammer and standard trigger but the chances of finding that are non existant. I'd sure take one like yours in a heartbeat!!! Like I said, beautiful gun and a classic 'Smith.

I'm glad to see yours still has the trigger stop. Smith & Wesson deleted those by the early 1980s.
    Last edited by Art; 01-08-2017 at 12:56.

8. Default

Friend just tuned my 17-4, which a previous owner had buggered. It's a 8 & 3/8" and now is as sweet as can be.

Here's a link to a nice way to spend a day with a DA .22.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/revolvers.html
    Last edited by barretcreek; 01-09-2017 at 08:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I would love one with the target hammer and standard trigger but the chances of finding that are non existant.
    Plentiful and easy enough to change out to a standard trigger. Like you mentioned above, all K frames take most all the same internal parts. Only the hammer and firing pin assm are unique to the 17's and 18's. Finding a nice 18 like above would be the challenge.

When the Phoenix police department switched to semi autos, the let us buy the 22 cal trainers for 100.00, first come first serve and I got one. Mine is a model 18-3. 6K24xxx
    Last edited by noslack327; 01-10-2017 at 01:24.