Thread: Sanded stock!

Default Sanded stock!

Just showing my ignorance here.

I often see references to sanded stocks and unsanded originals.

Did the overhaul depots not sand the stocks in need of repair?
    Is an original stock not sanded in preparation for a new action?
    Does a sanded stock reduce the value of the rifle and call into question the originality?
    If you sand the stock ... then bone it, can you tell the difference?
    Does anyone have any photographic evidence of a sanded versus unsanded stock?

Thanks

BEAR

An unsanded stock should still have the original markings, and while a sanded stock may still have some of the original markings they will be faint. More or less like the metal, if the rifle went through overhaul, the metal was probably sandblasted and refinished. They are original only once, but may have more than one rebuild.

3. Default

The stocks are really not sanded. There scraped or boned this goes way back in rebuilding process in the 1800's. In may cases the stocks weren't restamped.

Thanks for the replies.

So, to understand sanding of the stock, it is not necessarily a bad thing if you don't obliterate the stock stampings.

BEAR

From what I understand, the standard for wood finish was that it be sanded to a "100 grit" finish, prior to a dunk in the heated linseed oil tank. Most likely the only stamps and markings that anyone paid any attention to were those applied after whatever work was done. If the 'old' ones survived, OK, if not, oh well...
    Stocks that appear to be "boned" came from those GI's interested in impressing the Ol' Sarge, by using their "bone" handled toothbrush or shaving brush, in a fashion similar to draw filing, to give a high sheen to the wood. Maybe trying to be the sharpest looking guy at inspection to get that pass......
    In any event, typical of civil servants, those folks that worked in the arsenals and armories had their hands full just turning out serviceable pieces, and not paying much attention to the wishes of the collectors and enthusiasts in the future.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 01-03-2017 at 05:13.

Then there are USMC stocks

You never know how many rebuilds a stock may have gone through, or how many sandings it has endured. I have a Remington 03-A3 that has been through rebuild that has most of the original markings, but another one that has none except the original P proof. Probably depended on how deep they had to go to smooth up the dents and dings.

someplace i saw a picture of the machine used to sand the wood, a drum sander so to speak,
    she was doing Garand stocks in the picture, but 1903 stocks were in the back ground as well.
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Thank you, gentlemen, for all your replies.

BEAR