1. Default M1897 Trench question

Hello all. First post here. Anyway, I have a Winchester 97 built in 1918 that appears to be a legitimate Trench gun. After reading Canfield's book, I believe it to be a WW2 rebuild as it exhibits the following characteristics:

-parkerized
    -WW2 style stock
    -metal checkered buttplate
    -four row ventilated heat shield ("W" stamp on left side)

Other traits it has

-serial number is in correct range of a WW1 trench
    -barrel is exactly 20" measured from the bolt face, and is marked "CYL"
    -hand stamped flaming bomb and "US" on right side of receiver just forward of the ejection port
    -has the "WP" proof stamped on top of receiver and barrel
    -heat shield fits snug on barrel without shims or sleeve.
    -barrel has three grooves in the bottom.

One thing I am not sure of is that there is a hole about a 1/4" from the end of the muzzle that has been filled in with a black substance. The hole itself is not threaded. Right now I'm thinking Bubba, but wanted to check with you guys first. Thank you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One of the experts will be along but I think Bubba did get ahold of it sometime in the past.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    One of the experts will be along but I think Bubba did get ahold of it sometime in the past.
    Thank you. Here are some pics of the whlole gun. It also has a peculiar flaming bomb stamp above the ejection port which I think is also Bubbas doing.

4. Default

More pictures

5. Default

The WW1 trench barrels were not drilled for a sight bead. So someone has definitely messed with the barrel.

If it were arsenal rebuilt by the Military I would expect to find an arsenal mark on the stock or receiver and a P proof mark too.

Stamping ahead of ejection port, right side looks correct. Butt stock of a later type.