Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

As for the quillion, other posts are incorrect! Altho it could be a very early made trainer, I suppose. The handle does look a 'lil crude and narrow so perhaps it was made up of used or condemned parts and used for training or whatever. But the curves on bottom of handle also indicates early style altho they are rather severe. It does look strange! Last ditch had straight square handles, small
    qullions, bamboo or wood sheaths with twine to hold half's together.
    Last edited by dave; 12-31-2016 at 01:25.
    You can never go home again.

So I spoke to the gentleman I got it from. He said it was covered in cosmoline and that he used mineral spirits and Murphy's Oil soap only to clean it. I don't know what that would do to the originality of the finish. Does it remove it completely, modify it, or is it minimal impact? With this information, what does that tell you about how close this is to original coloring and what your beliefs and recommendations are as to my suggested actions (leave it as is or some degree of "restoration?" It sounds "minimally invasive" to me, or am I wrong? Thanks again to all!
    Last edited by artyldr01; 01-03-2017 at 04:18.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Picture #3 that you posted on the gunboards forum, 1/1/2017 shows the difference between the original color and what's on there now. Urishi is a pretty durable finish, and not cut by mineral spirits or Murphy's oil soap. The person who stripped and refinished the stock probably used varnish or clear lacquer to finish it. Either "post original" finish can be removed with Formby's Furniture Finisher. You could then attempt to re-stain the stock closer to the original finish, and reseal it with satin lacquer.
    That's quite a project,and I'm not sure I would do that, but rather leave the stock as it is.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

That's what I'm thinking too. Anything more done to this is further degrading any history. Oh well, once again should have done more research before pulling the trigger, so to speak, but I still love that it is all matching and one of the last Type 99s made.

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    As for the quillion, other posts are incorrect! Altho it could be a very early made trainer, I suppose. The handle does look a 'lil crude and narrow so perhaps it was made up of used or condemned parts and used for training or whatever. But the curves on bottom of handle also indicates early style altho they are rather severe. It does look strange! Last ditch had straight square handles, small
    qullions, bamboo or wood sheaths with twine to hold half's together.
    I think the better question is - is it dull on the cutting edge ? Every trainer rifle that I have owned that had a bayonet with it, the bayonet edge was so thick that best you could do with it was beat butter, but not cut it.

Regards,
    Pat
    Last edited by pdawg1911; 01-12-2017 at 08:13.

Quote Originally Posted by pdawg1911 View Post
    I think the better question is - is it dull on the cutting edge ? Every trainer rifle that I have owned that had a bayonet with it, the bayonet edge was so thick that best you could do with it was beat butter, but not cut it.

Regards,
    Pat
    It is quite dull, and, it is almost curved like an "S" it is so NOT straight! LOL

Aren't finger grooves in the stock normally absent in last ditch rifles? Or was that perhaps a feature of that particular manufacturer so late in the war?
    Last edited by TSimonetti; 02-03-2017 at 12:48.

Quote Originally Posted by TSimonetti View Post
    Aren't finger grooves in the stock normally absent in last ditch rifles? Or was that perhaps a feature of that particular manufacturer so late in the war?

Toyo Kogyo, generally kept higher quality all the way to the end. Other than the systemic changes (peep sight vs. anti-aircraft sights, monopods, etc) their quality was top notch (though clearly not the same as at the beginning of the war). For example, they maintained the "plum" shaped knob on the bolt though others went to the barrel/quicker made variety. It is also possible, they had the quantity of "finger groove" stocks available through the end of the war.

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Looks like you've been doing your "homework" AL1. I looked in "the book" this morning, and it mentioned that that arsenal was using anything they could get, including prior rejected stocks to complete their rifles.
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter