Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New "Last Ditch" Koyo Kogyo Series 35 (FINAL) Type 99 Hiroshima survivor?

Good Evening.

I acquired a gorgeous "last ditch" Type 99, Toyo Kogyo Series 35 rifle. I thought it was a Kokura but dug deeper. This is conceivably a survivor of the Hiroshima attack SN 56550. I am still very new to Japanese rifles but bought the McCollum book to help. The only parts with Serial Number markings are the receiver, bolt handle and extractor. The stock hasn't been messed with at all. It came with a bayonet which is completely unmarked. My initial research is that it is a either also a "last ditch" or training bayonet, I am leaning towards training. I couldn't be happier. I'll let you look at the photos and any thoughts and opinions are appreciated! It is hard to fathom this rifle may have been on the assembly line when the Enola Gay changed life for ever.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by artyldr01; 12-29-2016 at 05:20.

A few more photos

Pretty sweet condition for a last-ditch! Interesting that the bolt handle is the plum shape... not often seen in a last ditch! Is the safety knurled, lined, or welded? The series marks are sometimes hard to decipher... and to be honest, that could almost be a 12. Is there another mark next to the arsenal mark? You can use this data sheet to identify the markings: http://www.gunboards.com/sites/banza...a.htm#Model_99

Dean... what do you think?
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I just realized (and edited the original post and title) this is a Series 35 Toyo Kogyo rifle, based on it's late SN 55650, it is quite possibly a Hiroshima survivor. I clearly have much more research to do but indications are that it was made in the very last months of WW2 and the arsenal was in Hiroshima. WOW...

Thank you for the data sheet and assistance!

San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Toyo Kogyo kept the plum shaped bolt handle throughout production. "The high s/n for the 35th series rifles reported in Military Rifles of Japan is 56591, although at least one higher is known."
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

I thought it looked like a 35... Yes, that is a Toyo Kogyo 35!

Thanks Dean... I didn't know that later Toyo Kogyos kept the plum!

Paul
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by Deano41 View Post
    Toyo Kogyo kept the plum shaped bolt handle throughout production. "The high s/n for the 35th series rifles reported in Military Rifles of Japan is 56591, although at least one higher is known."

Thank you for confirming. So is it a safe assumption this was made in July or August 45?

8. Default

I too have a series 35 about ten thousand earlier than yours. You have a nice Rifle. I shot mine with Norma ammo. Damn thing is pretty accurate!

That bayo is hardly a 'last ditch or training'. the hooked quilian (sp?) was done away with long before last ditch stuff was resorted to.
    You can never go home again.

Other posts I have read suggest that it is a training bayonet since it does have the quillion, fuller, and no blade markings. It does have a number 16 on the right side handle wood, perhaps a rack number?