Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OK, Here We Go

1. Default Niedner Rifle?

From the moment I first saw this photograph, I knew I was on the right path. The rifle on the far left in the stack has an A5 scope in Marine Mounts (Mann-Niedner bases). Check out the big, knurled knobs, and one can even see the tip of the clicker-pointer. I believe the Marine on the left is the sniper, due to his gear and position. His uniform looks dark in color, which I believe is due to newly issued uniforms (British French, AEF??) versus the others' sun faded duds. I remember we could spot a newbie in boot the same way. The snipers are probably fresh out of an English sniper school, which is why they have their Brodies. The date of the picture would be late 1917 as all the Marines are wearing Marine uniforms, canvas leggings, and their campaign hats. After January, 1917, the canvas leggings and campaign hats would have been gone. That would make this rifle one of the original Niedner rifles, as the WRA rifles had yet to be delivered. This isn't new ground, as I believe everyone concedes the Niedner rifles went to the 4th Brigade. As JB once pointed out, I think the Marine on the right has pilfered the Brodie from the sniper, as you can see his campaign hat just to the side of his right leg.

Jim

Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 01-10-2017 at 05:23.

I'm having a hard time seeing anything but an M1903 scoped with an A5. Perhaps the photo uploaded a bit pixilated?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by TDP0311 View Post
    I'm having a hard time seeing anything but an M1903 scoped with an A5. Perhaps the photo uploaded a bit pixilated?
    The photo must be less than a certain size to upload to Jouster, so some definition is indeed lost. The photo in question is available on the net in high definition. The picture is part of the Keystone View Company Set of 1917 - 1918, picture #66 in the set of 100. Grab a copy, and using any of the many photo manipulating programs, one can enhance the photo for a more clear view. If I post my enhancement, I might get accused of faking it. If you email me, we can discuss the matter.

Jim

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Jim that order for the 1000 Marine cases is one I own the copyright to, because it's actually my picture I took of the original document. I have not given you a copy of that picture, nor given you permission to use it. Please take it down.
    I didn't want to get into this before everyone had a chance to read the thread, but sufficient time has passed. You are claiming a copyright of a picture of a document that is public domain that you copied and cropped. Good luck on that one. But just for the sake of accuracy, post your copyright, because I don't believe you. You do realize you have to apply for one, right? I posted a picture that had been transferred over the net to me. You can't prove that picture is yours, as anyone can take a picture of a public document.

Your claim that you can get a copyright of a picture of the wording of a document without having the copyright on the document itself is just BS. There is nothing intellectually unique about a crop of a document that is not held by the original document.

You have repeatedly published a picture that I took, and you don't hear me whining like a little schoolgirl. Grow up.
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 01-16-2017 at 12:25. Reason: Spelling

5. Default That's All Folks !!

Sufficient time has passed for anyone to ask any questions they may have had about what I have posted. I am a bit surprised no one even asked the origin of the material, which I would have happily posted. I most certainly would have asked how I knew the date the rifles were issued. I had prepared a series of posts on the rifles themselves (pictures, and in some cases pictures of the snipers with their rifles - I did post one), but since no one was asking questions, this seems a fitting end.

At this point I believe I have presented the case for the 8-loop scope cases and the WRA rifles, so I will cease and desist, as these posts are a pain to do. There is still a host of info and data I did not present. Maybe next time.

Jim
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 01-15-2017 at 09:11. Reason: Spelling

6. Default

Jim, who is the owner of the bases as pictured in your 3rd post in this thread? The blued ones look like reproductions, while the phosphated ones look exactly identically to the ones I have (staked screwhead markings).
    The scope pictured below that bases is clearly a British A5 scope. The Brits also put a lot of red colour on those scopes plus someone even filled the markings on the screw with colour (something what I sniper would never do), hence I wouldn't be too sure if this still is original Winchester.

Tom's rifle looks marvellous, I'm really envy of that piece! And I wouldn't mind seeing a picture showing the inletting of the handguard to make the scope removeable, since there seem to be quite some variants. Are the bases on his rifle phosphated or blued?

I have a yellow lense adaptor myself which seems to be for WWI British scopes, since it came with a British scope I had bought. I however believe they wouldn't be that much of a help, but it might had been worth the try...

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    The scope pictured below that bases is clearly a British A5 scope...
    Well, not completely clear to me, though color in the index markings of that rear mount is much too bright to be original Winchester paint. The British-issued scopes had the serial number of the rifle to which they were matched scrawled along the tube with an electro-pencil, with red paint smeared in the scratches; ugly.
    Last edited by clintonhater; 01-17-2017 at 03:55.

8. Default

I may lead your view on the markings on the scope foot - the broad arrow and the crown over F9 marking more than clearly indicate the British usage of this scope.

And as a small side note: to my knowledge, collection and other sources most British scopes EITHER have the rifle serial number on the scope tube, OR the British acceptance proofs on the scope rings. Which of those two methods was the earlier one I am unable to tell.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    I may lead your view on the markings on the scope foot - the broad arrow and the crown over F9 marking more than clearly indicate the British usage of this scope.
    Sorry, you're absolutely right of course--didn't notice those.

10. Default

I looked it up and found this statement of Roger Payne regarding British A5 scopes:
    They are of two varieties; firstly some scopes bear the broad arrow & Enfield inspector's mark on the mounts; secondly some bear a boldly engraved SMLE serial number on the top of the scope tube (the engraving was originally filled with red paint or kwikfill type material, though this has often come out over the years). I have never seen a scope bearing both military acceptance stamps AND a SMLE serial number together.
    He additionally mentioned the scopes were purchased in 1915/16 and the total was 907 scopes.