1. Default (continued)

Scope case #7: Issued to Pvt. T. A. Stuckey

Scope #8: Issued to Pvt. John Kennedy

Continued in next post.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Default (continued)

Scope #10: Issued to Pvt. Gilbert C. Chandler

Scope #11: Issued to John R. Kurtz (one of the only two brother snipers)

There are more, including the scope cases of Pvt. Lester B. Demlow (#12 - misspelled in Senich, correction, that was Damerow), Pvt. L. D. LaValley (#13), and Pvt. Percival R. Burrell (#14), whom would all become instructors at OSD. So we can account for 25% or more of the scopes and cases issued that day, or the following month for a couple of them (the respective sniper rifle serial numbers are on the cases). Anyone want to wager that the other scopes, rifles, and cases looked exactly like these? Those 50-men were half of the 1st OSD Scout, Observer, Sniper (SOS) class of 100-men held beginning 14 June 1918.

And this from Senich, and please note he is talking about the 8-loop “Penguin” scope case and Mann-Niedner “Marine Mounts”:

They total to 28% of the rifles issued that day. Anyone with even a modicum of knowledge of statistics knows this one is a lock, “documents” be damned. Particularly since there is only one possible example of a 6-loop case with no visible sign of any specific sniper on, or attached to it. There are numerous examples of these same 8-loop “Penguin” scope cases found over the net with no decipherable names. Promo has three of them in a single photo. By the way, any idea that promotes the notion that the snipers bought the scope cases themselves is idiotic nonsense. The Marine pay scale at that time would prohibit it, as would their remote location, unless Cuban made. By the way, all these cases came with their Mann-Niedner based (Marine Mount) A5 scope, which means the matching rifles had Mann-Niedner bases.

Continued in next post.

Jim
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 01-05-2017 at 10:10.

3. Default Last One of Continuations

(continued)

They total to 28% of the rifles issued that day. Anyone with even a modicum of knowledge of statistics knows this one is a lock, “documents” be damned. Particularly since there is only one possible example of a 6-loop case with no visible sign of any specific sniper on, or attached to it. There are numerous examples of these same 8-loop “Penguin” scope cases found over the net with no decipherable names. Promo has three of them in a single photo. By the way, any idea that promotes the notion that the snipers bought the scope cases themselves is idiotic nonsense. The Marine pay scale at that time would prohibit it, as would their remote location, unless Cuban made. By the way, all these cases came with their Mann-Niedner based (Marine Mount) A5 scope, which means the matching rifles had Mann-Niedner bases.

Next is a picture of Gunner Steve Estock on the OSD rifle range with his “Penguin” 8-loop scope case (pictured above) over his shoulder (look under his left hand). It’s got to be neat to own a piece of history and have a picture of it being used “in the day”. Congratulations, Tom.

As I stated, the scopes had Marine Mounts, the rifles had Mann-Niedner bases, and the scope cases were “Penguin” 8-loop scope cases that appear to be made specifically for the A5. On the 6-loop side of the discussion, not a single 6-loop scope case bearing any name, serial number, or other information indicating it was assigned to any sniper rifle or sniper has surfaced in the last 100-years. That alone should be enough physical evidence to convince any reasonable person.

If you aren’t convinced at this point that the sniper rifles issued on 4 March 1918 utilized scopes with Marine Mounts in Mann-Niedner bases with 8-loop “Penguin” scope cases, it is my fault for a poor presentation. The evidence is certainly there, with a total lack of evidence for the contrary position. What you have seen is only a tiny portion of the data I have, but I am soaking up bandwidth.

Convinced - or not convinced? Either way, now you may understand why I do not accept the “documents, I have documents” nonsense; especially when those documents are never presented, presented in an abbreviated form, or presented only to individuals “highly regarded”. It is total BS, and no one becomes an expert by just collecting documents. I use documents also, but great care needs to be taken when examining any document to ensure it is interpreted correctly, and its “place in time” is understood. In the final analysis, no document can change historical fact.

Thanks to Jeff for letting me present this. Ask any questions you may have.

Jim

Well Mr Jim, I'd say you have made a very clear, well thought out case sir, and one that makes a heck of a lot of sense. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the fruits of your research, and appreciate that there are no instances where "mental gymnastics" are required to come up with a certain conclusion. One thing I notice, those A5 sniper rifles the Marines got were sure close in serial number range!
    Last edited by 1903fan; 01-05-2017 at 06:18.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1903fan View Post
    Well Mr Jim, I'd say you have made a very clear, well thought out case sir, and one that makes a heck of a lot of sense. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading the fruits of your research, and appreciate that there are no instances where "mental gymnastics" are required to come up with a certain conclusion. One thing I notice, those A5 sniper rifles the Marines got were sure close in serial number range!
    Yes, they were.

Jim
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 01-05-2017 at 09:01.

Well as a crusty ole vet myself, I'm glad this is all settled and we can get on with looking for new rifles out there that fit the bill as a Marine WWI sniper rifle

7. Default

The 5 cases offered by WRA in the order of their introduction, left to right. IMG.jpg
    Last edited by clintonhater; 01-08-2017 at 04:39.

8. Default In France with the 8-Loop Scope Case

I almost forgot about this photograph, which is of a 13th Regiment Marine Sergeant taken in France in late 1918. Please note the 8-loop "Penguin" scope case hanging from his left hip. As an added caveat, look closely at the eyepiece of the scope and you will see the dim light adapter attached to the scope. I can identify this Marine with no doubt whatsoever. The rifle has the Marine Mounts which means it has Mann-Niedner bases, and is a WRA rifle. I also know the serial number of this rifle and who owns the scope case and scope.
    Jim

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    The 5 cases offered by WRA in the order of their introduction, left to right.
    Nice picture, clintonhater (me too). I knew someone would eventually find one. Looks like the "Penguin" is a WRA scope case after all and was around before the 6-loop!

Jim
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 01-08-2017 at 08:21.

Very clearly a Mann-Niedner Marine block sniper rifle with 8 loop case in that picture, what a wonderful example!