Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: OK, Here We Go

1. Default The Plan

As it began to be evident that America would join the war in Europe, the “Four Horsemen” began in earnest to formulate a credible scenario to train snipers. They knew early on that the longest lead time would be the scopes. McDougal was chosen to interact with WRA to ensure the changes they wanted to make would be, at least, on paper – nothing official as yet. Holcomb would handle all issues dealing with Headquarters Marine Corps and acquisition. Garland would devise a training regimen and interact with Doyen, and Smith would assist Fay and design the ultimate sniper rifle using nothing but the best (available) components.

They devised a list of requirements for the rifle:
    1. The rifle would be a 1903 Springfield of match quality (star gauged with quality inletting and trigger).
    2. The scope would be the Winchester A5, the best scope physically available.
    3. The scope would be mounted in Mann-Niedner bases, as the #2 had zero problems after a dismount .
    3. Fay wanted the elevation click adjustments to be in “yards” instead of “minutes” to aid in training country boys.
    4. All wanted bigger knobs and click adjustments due to issues all had during their past matches.
    5. The stock would be marked in such a way as to quickly identify which barreled action it matched.
    (Niedner’s mark was below the receiver bridge on the stock, WRA’s just in front of the crossbolt on the port side).
    6. Every rifle would be identical in every respect.
    7. The snipers would use match ammunition.
    8. Each sniper would retain possession of his unique rifle until he was unfit for service, completed his enlistment, or achieved the rank of Sergeant Major.
    9. Each scope would be issued with a case, dim light adapter, and a rubber eyepiece.

Holcomb and McDougal would oversee WRA’s assembly of the rifles to strict tolerances.

I hope Tom doesn't mind me using his icture, but it is such a beautiful set, and this is what a WRA rifle and scope, as issued, looked like.

Fay would convince Doyen to transfer each of them into a position from which they could best oversee the program. Fay wanted to transfer to Cuba to take advantage of the superior range and fine weather. He would only pick and train snipers who qualified as Expert. He would immediately commence their range training until such time as OSD opened for business. Snipers would be trained in small 50 to 100 man batches to help maintain the quality of instruction.

Dulty Smith would be transferred to OSD to be in charge of the Rifle Range Detachment to oversee every facet of sniper training (there would be a delay). Holcomb was Inspector of Target Practice at Headquarters Marine Corps, and in perfect position to oversee the implementation of the sniper program. But Holcomb wanted to go to France, and had been promised Command of a battalion or regiment to be formed in the event of war. He would go to France as Commander of the 2/6. McDougal would replace Holcomb as Inspector of Target Practice if, and when, Holcomb departed for combat duty. All would depend on Fay convincing Doyen that the program was needed and the plan feasible.

Right in the middle of all their planning, America declared war on Germany on 6 April 1917. It was time to act.

So, why did the Horsemen pick Captain Fay to make the attempt to sway Doyen to not only support their plan, but to be an active participant in its implantation? The reason was very simple; Augustus Doyen was married to Claude Fay, Garland’s older sister. Another of Garland’s sisters was married to John Pendleton, the Marine for whom Camp Pendleton is named. Fay was confident he could convince Doyen to implement the sniper program as the Horsemen envisioned it. Doyen was aware he would command the 4th Marine Brigade when it formed as well as in France. Doyen not only agreed with the Horsemen, he thought the program to be of essence, and wanted his 4th Brigade to be armed with the same sniper rifles. Now you know why Niedner was picked to mount the 150 scopes on rifles prepped and supplied by the Corps. WRA was pressed for time, but would supply the scopes and modified mounts to Niedner as soon as they were completed so the 4th Brigade could be armed. The 4th Marine Brigade snipers were to be trained at the BEF sniper schools in France.

The game was afoot. Up next – Cubans.

Jim
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 01-03-2017 at 07:43.

2. Default

What was the "dim light adapter"?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    What was the "dim light adapter"?
    A device that fits on the eyepiece that had a yellow lens that gives more definition in poor lighting conditions. It is not easily installed or removed, in my opinion. You must remove the eyepiece lens to install or remove it. I just leave mine on all the time. I've only seen two or three of them in the last 10-years.

Jim
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 01-02-2017 at 06:21.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle View Post
    A device that fits on the eyepiece that had a yellow lens that gives more definition in poor lighting conditions. It is not easily installed or removed, in my opinion. You must remove the eyepiece lens to install or remove it. I just leave mine on all the time. I've only seen two or three of them in the last 10-years.

Jim
    I've seen none in the last 50+ yrs! Nor even heard of them! I do, however, understand the principle, because Leica made a yellow lens accessory that was a friction-fit over the range-finder lens for use on cloudy days. Had one on my pre-war Leica III, and it made a noticeable improvement under such conditions. Should have been equally feasible to mount such a lens in a separate cap that fitted over the A5 eyepiece.

5. Default

How about a photo of one? I don't have a document for it, you will just have to take my word that I'm not faking the photo!

Jim
    Last edited by Marine A5 Sniper Rifle; 01-02-2017 at 09:18.

So would you remove the eye piece lens, screw the dim light adapter on, then place the eye piece lens back on? I could see how that might be a pain in poor conditions. Thanks for the picture. I've seen plenty of pictures of A5 scopes but this is also the first I've heard of the dim light adapter.

7. Default

The adapter is actually in two pieces that screw together, clamps around that little knurled flange on eyepiece. And you thought that little knurled flange was just for looks, heh?

Jim

I thought the knurled flange was well.....for looks. Looking forward to the rest of the story as Paul Harvey use to say. Thanks for that last pic even a big dumb animal like me gets it��

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    I thought the knurled flange was well.....for looks. Looking forward to the rest of the story as Paul Harvey use to say. Thanks for that last pic even a big dumb animal like me gets it��
    That is the reason for this thread. If you have a question, ask it. If I know the answer, I'll give it.

Jim

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    So would you remove the eye piece lens, screw the dim light adapter on, then place the eye piece lens back on? I could see how that might be a pain in poor conditions...
    Hard as it is to believe, I think Rube Goldberg must have been hired as a consultant by WRA or USMC to come up with this needlessly complicated idea. And then, to dream it up in the rush of wartime production! Yellow glass filters are almost as old as cameras, but this is the most bizarre application of the idea I've ever seen.

Would have been mfg. by WRA? If so, company didn't think it a good enough idea to offer on the commercial market after the war, and they were right.