Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Krag

Even ***I*** have managed to reload Krag ammo!.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

2. Default

Were i come from (Wisconsin) i have not much trouble finding krag ammo. The stores just don't have 20 boxes of it. But then i buy ammo every chance i get.

3. Default

Nice collection of krags Rick. For such a short life there sure are a lot of variations.

"...for available ammo?..." It's one of the cartridges that is loaded 'Seasonally only'(read that as When they feel like it. Remington is currently on "limited production" and not at all by Winchester according to Midway) by Remington and Winchester. No mention of when said season is though. So if you see any buy it all.
    Graf's is listing their own brand of brass as being "In stock" at $42.99 per 50, $773.82 per 1,000.
    Rumoured that it can be made out of .303 Brit brass too.
    Spelling and grammar count!

The .303 is sort of a last resort, as it comes up a trifle short - still, valuable knowledge to have, though. Support Graf for now, and hope that Privi steps in with loaded ammo in the future.

Amen to that Dick!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Hey Rick, whatever happened to all of that old surplus Krag Ammo that some guy had found? It was all tinned and original. I think he had several hundred rounds of it.
    Of course nobody in their right mind would try to shoot any of it. It's too expensive as a collectable and none of it could ever be replaced. That ammo should be used in displays in belts and such.
    Of course if the sh!t ever hit the fan, I'd load up my Krag with it.
    Last edited by Fred; 01-01-2017 at 09:51.

8. Default

I was at a gun show in Fort Worth and found a guy that specializes in custom and obsolete ammo. I picked up two boxes of 30-40 from him (made from .303) for $72. I was pretty excited. I'll take it to the range this week and post a report.

Last Autumn, I exchanged emails with someone from a custom cartridge company (before the Graf brass hit the market), and he offered to produce match-grade 30-40 ammo for me from either .303 or .405 Win brass. When I saw his price, I nearly had a heart attack. It amounted to almost $3 per round with the .303 and almost $4 per round with the .405! Needless to say, I'll roll my own thank you very much!
    Last edited by psteinmayer; 01-02-2017 at 07:01.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

As I've said before, I made a habit of checking the "junk ammo" boxes of sellers at small (and sometimes large) gun shows. I picked up quite a bit of Krag ammo, like several hundred rounds. So much that I pretty much stopped reloading. It's there if you turn over enough rocks!

IMG_3521 (527x1024).jpg
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis