Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1903 A4 Sniper. New guy

Hey guys. Just joined the forum and look forward to learning more about US weapons. I have been very heavy into collecting snipers (US, German and Russian). I thought I would share pictures of my 1903A4 sniper. I believe it is a original rifle that has never been rebuilt (but my knowledge is limited). Opinions welcome. I don't think the covers in these pictures are original war time. I have a set that are. This rifle also came with a original Technical Manuel.

When I was in the 8th grade my father took me to see Saving Private Ryan and like so many I was hooked. Since that day I wanted a 1903 A4. And it is still one of my favorite rifles today.

On another note, I am interested to see if anyone knows the meaning of all the different inspection marks on the stock in front of the trigger guard. Is there any consistency with these that would allow us to track a more accurate date of when the stock was assembled to a rifle? They seem rather random to me from looking at several A4s and I can not find any pattern. If anyone has please let me know.

Thanks

4 (1).jpg4 (2).jpg4 (3).jpg4 (4).jpg4 (5).jpg
    Last edited by mdarnell19; 12-26-2016 at 02:21.

I've already told you, but I have to say it again. Beautiful rifle Matt! It's nicer than mine.

On the stamps in front of the trigger housing, I've seen a lot of different ones too. So I honestly don't know. Jim Gaynor will be around sometime and this is his specialty.

they are gallery markings, or sub inspectors markings
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Quote Originally Posted by milgunsguy View Post
    thanks for posting these pictures

How about some pictures of your German snipers? We don't see many of those, here or anywhere.
    Sure I'll post some pictures. Which sub forum should I post them in? And what do you want to see, Single Claw, High Turret of K43?

These are the stock markings on my 03-A4 about 1700 serial numbers later.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckindenver View Post
    they are gallery markings, or sub inspectors markings
    Thanks for the info. I was under the impression that only a few companies made the C and Scant stocks. Any reason why so many markings? It is that each stamp represents a process done to the stock? Thanks again for the help.