Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I've used AA2520 for years.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Friend who built my M1A and Garand and is working on my second Garand was an armorer.

He agreed when I asked him about the following.

As Art mentioned the current Hornady and Sierra handbooks have service rifle specific loads in dedicated sections. Don't even think about using other data to start.

Even more important, get on Fulton Armory's website and read and re-read why he is dead set against shooting reloads in M1/M1A/AR-15 rifles. And keep re-reading as you start loading. My XL-650s are going to have very different roles than I originally intended for loading service ammo.

Go to Garandgear.com and look at his section on the Garand gas plug they make and the time pressure curves.
    You are correct IMHO on every count. The CMP M1 manual "Read This First" has a subsection in the ammunition chapter titled "A GRIM SERMON ON RELOADING." Anyone who reloads for a semi automatic service rifle is accepting an additional risk. I do hand load for my .30-06 service rifles (3 M1903s and one M1.) In my M1 the hand loads are primarily for matches, but I use the Hornady service rifle section data, use a single stage press and only use virgin brass if I'm going to shoot it semi automatically as opposed to single loading. Federal and Privi Partizan ammunition formulated for the M1 are excellent and I shoot them with some regularity. The vast majority of my shooting with an M1 is still GI ball (though not necessarily U.S.G.I. ball.)
    Last edited by Art; 12-23-2016 at 07:02. Reason: Typo

Trackin!!!
    That's where i'm going with my M1 Art... Mostly in JCG matches... And my press is a Lee single stage...
    bombdog...
    Last edited by bombdog; 12-23-2016 at 06:34.
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

Also, try BL-C2 or Win 748, VARGET might be another but have no expereince with it.
    Make sure primer pockets are clean and no crimp remaining and seated FLUSH below casehead.

Case length MUST be CONSISTANT, +/- 0.002",

visually adjust the sizing die to be concentric inside the sizer die

good luck and take your time.

Okay then, got some IMR 4895, what about those CCI#31 primers, or are the Winchester large rifles good???
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

The CCI #34 (not 31) are MIL spec primers, and are excellent with 4895 in 30-06/M2 Ball rounds for the M1 Garand. I've been using them for a few years now. Prior to using the 34s, I used CCI 200s which are standard primers and also good. When reloading for a Garand or M1A, you want to be careful as there are some primers that are quite sensitive and may lend themselves to slamfire.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Roger that 'P', that's why the thousand questions... i'm going to be reloading for those two specific rifles, M1, and M1a, and the mousegun that tags along once in a while... i was aware that certain primers would cause problems on occasion, just not which ones... i've read it on the web somewhere but can't remember where... Got a pard that helps me out with all he can too...
    bombdog...

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    The CCI #34 (not 31) are MIL spec primers, and are excellent with 4895 in 30-06/M2 Ball rounds for the M1 Garand. I've been using them for a few years now. Prior to using the 34s, I used CCI 200s which are standard primers and also good. When reloading for a Garand or M1A, you want to be careful as there are some primers that are quite sensitive and may lend themselves to slamfire.
    To add to this I use Federal 210's in my bench rest rifles. CCI 34s in my mil surp. Federal 210s are a great match primer but are sensitive. I've had one detonate during priming. Primers are still hard to find here. I hope that will change but if Federal 210s or any match primer are all thats on the shelf wait another day.

I buy Varget in 8 lb jugs and it's my preferred powder in 308 benchrest guns. I also use it for milsurps 30-06,303, and 6.5 X 55. However the other powers mention work across the board to. Good luck I've found reloading as much fun as shooting, but it is time consuming doing it right.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    I've found reloading as much fun as shooting, but it is time consuming doing it right.
    Amen! I love reloading. Time consuming to be sure... but very rewarding when the fruits of your labor produce excellent accuracy, and wins at the matches!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I started using 'surplus' 4895 back in the sixties when I was a kid. Mostly because it was something like .29 cents a POUND for the stuff. They'd weigh it up, and double bag it in paper bags over the counter at Skagg's Drug. Worked great in our 30-06 bolt guns, and .308 lever guns.
    I didn't need to load for the M14's our team used, had all the NM ammo we needed, all we had to do was bring brass back, and the armorer didn't care what brass, just wanted a 'close' round count.
    I started using Varget years back after it became available, and found that I don't get the vertical stringing in my rapid fire strings like I do with 4895 and 4064. It also give me very consistent velocities on very hot, or very cold days. Getting Varget was nearly impossible post-2008, and remained hard to find for several years following. Bought four or five eight pound 'kegs' of the stuff that looks like will last me through perhaps the end of next year.
    I full length size 30-06, 308, and 5.56/.223 in small base dies. Essential for my semi-autos, lever and pump rifles, and the bolt guns don't seem to mind one little bit. My GI brass lasts through as many loadings as any 'commercial' brass, I just have to pay attention to reducing the charge a bit to accomodate the smaller internal volume.