Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Load em up, move em out. Precision time.

Almost a month old photo, but the bench gets plenty of use this time of year. Been working on the precision bolt fodder of late. You know the foolish neck turning, form firing and neck sizing stuff and enjoying every minute of it. Precision range box is 50 rnd as compared to the 100 for the semi autos bulk loadings.

http://

Semper Fi
    Art

Been working on new load for my Rem 700 this Spring. I think I found the key, at least for me shooting it at 100 yds.
    DAG brass trimmed to 2.05. Neck turned from .015 to .013.
    Tula Berdan primer using 40.5 gr of 4064 under a Berger 150 gr fb held .004 off the lands.
    Redding competition bushing die .001 under and Redding micrometer competition seating die. Bullets are running right at 2550 at 12'.
    Scope is Leupold MK 4 8.5 - 25.

Ten round group at 100yds fired prone supported with bipod. Bag under butt. Intentionally left so as not to obstruct aim point.

Max spread .6" Adverage .32"
    My best group in the past was a .44 adverage.
    That is an improvement of about 25% just by doing a little more work up on the load and a little more than standard brass prep.
    This was fired clean cold bore. Temp 59 deg. F.

Semper Fi
    Art

Applaud your load development. Always a joy to develop the loads that will bring out the best in a rifle. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Thanks Bruce,
    I am enjoying the heck out of retirement.

Semper Fi
    Art

Sir, seriously, I think you need more 'stuff'. 8-)
    Decades ago, when I reloaded and fired for accuracy, I always shot 3 rounds to warm the barrel and get a little fouling in the bore. Now, I just reload normally and bang away.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Sir, seriously, I think you need more 'stuff'. 8-)
    Decades ago, when I reloaded and fired for accuracy, I always shot 3 rounds to warm the barrel and get a little fouling in the bore. Now, I just reload normally and bang away.
    I have been a cold clean bore 1st rnd accuracy nut for 50 years. Used to be 1" was good enough. Now I keep setting new goals for myself. That .320 adv. is going to be hard for me to beat. It is tougher to get up from the prone position every year. So much more enjoyable just competing against myself. It helps to have my range less than 100' out the front door.

7. Default

Why / how would you use Berdan primers with 7.62x51 ?

I truly believe that the two flash holes in the berdan brass make for much more consistent loads.
    Easy, DAG surplus German military brass that I use is Berdan primed to start.
    Used to be easy to find primers, not so much now since they are mainly Russian made and banned.

Nice to see good prep pay off.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Nice to see good prep pay off.
    Having way too much fun doing this stuff. I think a 25% improvement is worth every second invested.
    This is my Rem 700P. I dropped it in a Bell and Carlson stock, added optics and a Harris bi-pod. Nothing fancy.

Semper Fi
    Art