Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    I started using 'surplus' 4895 back in the sixties when I was a kid. Mostly because it was something like .29 cents a POUND for the stuff. They'd weigh it up, and double bag it in paper bags over the counter at Skagg's Drug. Worked great in our 30-06 bolt guns, and .308 lever guns.
    I didn't need to load for the M14's our team used, had all the NM ammo we needed, all we had to do was bring brass back, and the armorer didn't care what brass, just wanted a 'close' round count.
    I started using Varget years back after it became available, and found that I don't get the vertical stringing in my rapid fire strings like I do with 4895 and 4064. It also give me very consistent velocities on very hot, or very cold days. Getting Varget was nearly impossible post-2008, and remained hard to find for several years following. Bought four or five eight pound 'kegs' of the stuff that looks like will last me through perhaps the end of next year.
    I full length size 30-06, 308, and 5.56/.223 in small base dies. Essential for my semi-autos, lever and pump rifles, and the bolt guns don't seem to mind one little bit. My GI brass lasts through as many loadings as any 'commercial' brass, I just have to pay attention to reducing the charge a bit to accomodate the smaller internal volume.
    Humm, vertical stringing during rapids, hummm... Duly noted... Varget...
    Worth a try...
    bombdog...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

Vertical stringing has not been a problem for me with the H-4895... but it could be that I've shoot bad enough to not notice, LOL
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Okay grunts and generals, i got bit hard by the roll ur own bug... Took about 5 days to get all the 'partickulars' to get started but i did it... i think i may have found my problem in life, i am 'waaay' OCD... Ain't built but 20 rounds but they're weighed out, each one, 10 Hornady BTOT match 168's with a suggested charge of 45.9gr of IMR 4064, he says it's light and manageable but very accurate, and then just for giggles 10 Hornady AMax 175's with 46.5gr of same... i'll make some more and get them through the tube for a range report...
    Thanks for all you guy's help in getting me started... Hope i make ya'll proud...
    Oh yeah i got 1000 CCI #34 igniters...
    bombdog, out...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

Sounds like you're well on your way to a medal! Happy shooting...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by bombdog View Post
    Okay grunts and generals, i got bit hard by the roll ur own bug... Took about 5 days to get all the 'partickulars' to get started but i did it... i think i may have found my problem in life, i am 'waaay' OCD... Ain't built but 20 rounds but they're weighed out, each one, 10 Hornady BTOT match 168's with a suggested charge of 45.9gr of IMR 4064, he says it's light and manageable but very accurate, and then just for giggles 10 Hornady AMax 175's with 46.5gr of same... i'll make some more and get them through the tube for a range report...
    Thanks for all you guy's help in getting me started... Hope i make ya'll proud...
    Oh yeah i got 1000 CCI #34 igniters...
    bombdog, out...
    I strongly suggest you "foul" the bore with some ordinary ammo before you launch those handloads!

After all that "sweat-equity" you put in your handloads, it would be a shame to NOT GET full potential out of the first few rounds down range! --Jim

Fortunately, in CMP Match shooting, you get five sighters before recorded shots, which give you an opportunity to pre-foul.

Can do Jim, thanks... And yes, stein i remember the sighters as well...
    By the way would there be a ?minimum? overall cartridge length, the 150 cantilures i have seem to hang way out of the end at 3.30 and the PPU factory stuff is a flat base 150 max length of 3.321...
    Lots of homework...
    Tango mike...
    bombdog, out...

Quote Originally Posted by bombdog View Post
    . . . . By the way would there be a ?minimum? overall cartridge length, the 150 cantilures i have seem to hang way out . . . .
    I totally IGNORE the cannalure on the bullet.

When you think about it, there is NO minimum OAL needed when the ammo is used in a M1, because even when the M1909 blank is used (no bullet at all) in the semi-auto mode, the rifle functions just fine! (with the blank-fire device installed at the muzzle, of course!)

In fact, just for grins, I loaded a clip full of full-length-sized EMPTIES in my M1 and ran them through the action slowly, by hand, while carefully observing the feeding of them into the chamber.

The two forward-most ribs on either side of the magazine well guided the cases flawlessly into the chamber by engaging the shoulder of each case and "tipping" them toward the chamber mouth.

With bulleted cases (live ammo), I noticed that AT NO TIME did the bullet contact any portion of the receiver on its travel to the chamber! . . . . the bullet only contacting the CHAMBER WALL when the cartridge is ALMOST FULLY HOME!!

Try it yourself sometime to see just what I mean. --Jim

I use the Nosler 168 gr HPBT Match (Custom Competition) bullets, and they have no cannelure for crimp. Not important in an M1, or even an 03 for that matter. The cannelure is normally used for a factory crimp, and to assist with fouling issues. If I was going to shoot in a very wet environment (such as a match during monsoon in Vietnam), then I'd crimp and apply sealing compound. At Camp Perry however... not so much, LOL.

FWIW, in my Krags shooting a spitzer (pointed) bullet, I absolutely must crimp or the bullet will telescope during feeding. In that case, the cannelure is extremely important (not so much with RN bullets, which is what I actually shoot).

Man, i'm feelin some 1000yd, actually 1100yd, targets going up... Did it with some m118's in my m1a once, so my finger is itching again... Those Amax M72 wanna-be's should suffice... i'll get her sighted in this weekend and let ya know how things go...
    out, here