Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default M1 and M1a Powder for rolling my own???

Okay, Completely new to building my own ammo... i shoot only milsurp ammo as of now and santy's bringing me a roll-ur-own machine...
    Was wondering, what is the closest powder to military spec ammo for m2, m80, and m855 ball ammo???
    All opinions appreciated...
    bombdog, over...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

For me, it is "the big three" . . .

IMR or Hogdon #4895

IMR #4064

Varget

I always liked 4895.

Never used Varget in a gas gun but of the other 2 I like IMR 4064 then best 4895 is good to but 4064 has always given better accuracy in my guns. I need to try Varget one of these days, it's good stuff.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH

IMR4895(the 'H' is close but not the same thing and does not use the same data.)was the powder used in .30 M1 and M2 ammo. However, like BudT says, IMR4064 gives much more consistent accuracy. Especially with match grade bullets.
    There really is no standard powder for NATO spec ammo(M80 is just the U.S. designation. M855 is 5.56/.223. Also a U.S. designation.). Any load that gives approximately 2,733 fps with a 150 grain(7.62NATO uses a 147 grain bullet. A 150 is close enough.) bullet will do though. So will the IMR/H 4895, IMR4064 or Varget.
    Mind you, you really should read your manual and work up the most accurate load for each rifle and forget milsurp velocities and specs. Milsurp ammo is not loaded for great accuracy. It's loaded to give specific velocity ranges at specific pressures. Reloading means you're moving up in the world of shooting. You load for accuracy, not velocity.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I used to use IMR-4064, but I switched to IMR-4895 for my M1 match loads. I've since switched to H-4895 due to powder availability (last year) and I'm actually much happier with the results than the IMR powder. Little better accuracy for me with my Nosler match bullets.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

RL-15 is a great group getter--the govert. used it for match loads--especially with Nosler 155 palma

IMR 4064 and IMR 4895 are the two most used powders by re-loaders for .30-06 M1 rifles. I use IMR 4064 because it is so versatile; also giving excellent results in .250 Savage and .303 British. The fly in the ointment is the very long sticks IMR 4064 comes in. One buddy of mine likens it to loading Lincoln Logs. I use a Rock Chucker and trickle up each load, if you don't want to fiddle with that use IMR 4895 or something else like the above mentioned Varget.

Reloading manuals are starting to include M1 specific loads in their .30-06 section. I know the Hornady Handbook I have has an extensive section on M1 .30-06 recipes.
    Last edited by Art; 12-23-2016 at 03:34.

Tango mike gents... This is what i was interested in finding out... For the most part, it's how i've been told... i was curious as to whether or not there was a powder available that closely resembled what we shot in our battle-rifles... 'we' being, my grandfather's Garand in WWII, my dad and uncles' M14's, and my M16's...
    i do realize the reason for working up a match load, we'll do... my M1 really likes the PPU garand food, maybe i can find the specs on that stuff as well...
    Again, thanks guys...
    bombdog, out...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

10. Default

Friend who built my M1A and Garand and is working on my second Garand was an armorer.

He agreed when I asked him about the following.

As Art mentioned the current Hornady and Sierra handbooks have service rifle specific loads in dedicated sections. Don't even think about using other data to start.

Even more important, get on Fulton Armory's website and read and re-read why he is dead set against shooting reloads in M1/M1A/AR-15 rifles. And keep re-reading as you start loading. My XL-650s are going to have very different roles than I originally intended for loading service ammo.

Go to Garandgear.com and look at his section on the Garand gas plug they make and the time pressure curves.