Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Default

On the primer recommendation, we had good success with Remington 9 1/2 in M1 and M14 with IMR 4895.

In bolt guns, Federal 210M was our standard for many calibers from 22/250 to 308. As was already mentioned, they may be too sensitive for semi-auto.

You are well on your way bombdog. Looking forward to your reports.

Blog Entries

VV N140 is the best powder, if you can find it. It is gun cotton based, making it cleaner than anything else.

Buy a primer pocket uniformer and use whatever primer you want.

Nosler 155 CC are the best bullets Ive found for 200 yard JCG matches. 168 are crummy past 300.

Your mileage may vary.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    Fortunately, in CMP Match shooting, you get five sighters before recorded shots, which give you an opportunity to pre-foul.
    I keep my barrel fouled and zeroed at the same range as the match so I just get my crap together and dryfire during the sighters.

That way, i save walking 800 yards on our 200 yard walk up and paste match and it seems to freak other shooters out.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I keep my barrel fouled and zeroed at the same range as the match so I just get my crap together and dryfire during the sighters.

That way, i save walking 800 yards on our 200 yard walk up and paste match and it seems to freak other shooters out.
    I sort of do the same thing... in that I let my son shoot the rifle first, and then it's already nice and fouled for me. Also, I shoot all of my matches at 200 (at the same club) so I don't have to re-zero. Since Camp Perry is 200, then I'm only compensating a very tiny amount. I prefer to NOT shoot at 100 using the 200 SR targets because that requires recalibration... something I hate to do! I do use the five sighters though... to make sure I'm still on target and my rounds are going where I intend them to go, LOL.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Okay, just to update the post, still trying to develop this round... i've fired some (8 round enblocs) for accuracy and functionability... The 150 fmj Hornady's with 48.2g of IMR4064 was pretty good... Tryed the same bullet with some other charges, but i'm just not satisfied with my results... My rifle is way more accurate... Will continue...
    bombdog...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

If you want to do a trigger job it's not to bad. Other authors say to stay away from the hammer hooks lengths... to eliminate travel.

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerd...%20Trigger.pdf
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

Quote Originally Posted by milboltnut View Post
    If you want to do a trigger job it's not to bad. Other authors say to stay away from the hammer hooks lengths... to eliminate travel.

http://photos.imageevent.com/badgerd...%20Trigger.pdf
    my M1 has one, 5.1lb pull according to the gauge we used... my M1a's is 4.8ish... Both are great glass rods...
    bombdog, out...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

mines 4 lbs. after working it.
    For whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and whoever humbles himself will be exalted.

9. Default

I think bullet selection is more important than powder. 4895, 4964 and Varget all work. I've had good luck with Sierra and Speer 125s, and 155 and 168 SMKs. Widener's 168g 'surplus' bullets had weight variances of as much as 6.5g's. For a cheaper bullet, the Hornady 150 FMJs work well.

10. Default

I've also had good success with 125g flat-base bullets from Speer and Sierra.
    Last edited by 1-12 INF (M); 04-14-2017 at 07:15.