1. Default VG+ SA type butt stock on SA 1903-1434*** ser. #/7-34 barrel

I ran across an exceptionally nice pre-WWII SA '03 that doesn't appears to be re-finished, but is mounted in an SA type-4 "S" stock in VG-EXC condition with some unusual markings. The stock is unmarked on the end-cap of the butt stock and has the numeral "53" stamped just behind trigger guard. It has the typical "circle P" in the normal location, but instead of a standard D.A.L. cartouche, it has a fairly large letter "P" without a circle were the cartouche would ordinarily be found. The serial # is in the 1434*** range and the barrel date is 7-34. It has an N.S. marked bolt (small hole) and the bore looks virtually new. The rear sight leaf is in the white, as is the "ON" face of the cut-off switch. It comes with a very nice 1944 Milsco sling and the asking price is $1,000.00. Is this a legit piece (a rebuild possibly?), and if so is that price about right? Thanks in advance for any insight anyone might have on this piece?

Blog Entries

Handy tips:

Don't say type whatever stock with a numbering system dreamed up by an author of a book riddled with errors.
    Don't post half a serial number, someone may bother to check the records and see if it is a match, but can't with ****
    Post as many pictures as you can.

I would assume it's original finish since the cut off and sight leaf are bright.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

3. Default

I haven't purchased the rifle and don't have access for pics. Serial number is 1434203. Thanks for your input.

The barrel is also likely original, as well as possibly the bolt. Would certainly like to know about the "Type 4" stock. Problem is, you have to have someone who has access to the book(s) look the reference up. Much easier to just briefly describe the stock.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    The barrel is also likely original, as well as possibly the bolt. Would certainly like to know about the "Type 4" stock. Problem is, you have to have someone who has access to the book(s) look the reference up. Much easier to just briefly describe the stock.
    The stock is a low-wood example with two reinforcement bolts, finger grooves are present and the comb is more sharply defined were it meets the wrist than later examples that I have seen. It appears to me to be consistent with the "generation" of stocks produced in the later stages of WWI after the introduction of the second bolt. The numeral "53" appears immediately behind the trigger guard and a circle P appears just behind that. Also, the circle around the "P" has two small gaps in it, as if the punch was worn or broken. The large "P" appears where you would normally expect a cartouche. The overall condition of the butt stock is a very strong (un-sanded) very good to excellent. The hand guard is a nicely matched that seems to be fairly typical of the period between the wars. Thanks so much for your helpfulness and courtesy - your input is greatly appreciated. I don't want to over-pay, but I also don't want a really nice piece to get away from if it is legitimate.

Quote Originally Posted by usmartial1950 View Post
    The stock is a low-wood example with two reinforcement bolts, finger grooves are present and the comb is more sharply defined were it meets the wrist than later examples that I have seen. It appears to me to be consistent with the "generation" of stocks produced in the later stages of WWI after the introduction of the second bolt. The numeral "53" appears immediately behind the trigger guard and a circle P appears just behind that. Also, the circle around the "P" has two small gaps in it, as if the punch was worn or broken. The large "P" appears where you would normally expect a cartouche. The overall condition of the butt stock is a very strong (un-sanded) very good to excellent. The hand guard is a nicely matched that seems to be fairly typical of the period between the wars. Thanks so much for your helpfulness and courtesy - your input is greatly appreciated. I don't want to over-pay, but I also don't want a really nice piece to get away from if it is legitimate.
    Seasons' Greetings!

Based on your description, your rifle's stock was made and inspected at Springfield Armory in late 1918. Technically speaking, the stock can be considered somewhat correct for S/N 1434203. But to be completely correct, the stock should have a second inspection stamp dating from the 1934-35 period and a second encircled "P" proof mark.

Happy Holidays!

J.B.