Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 1896 Krag Rifle?

I picked up a Christmas present for myself yesterday. An1896 Krag Rifle serial number 108444. After reading an earlier post this Rifle seems to be late number for this model. Anyway, the Rifle has the 1902 rear sight and tall front sight blade. Can't read the cartouche but the P is there. Those sights don't seem right though. Thoughts would be appreciated. Merry Christmas to All!

2. Default

1896 rifles will be found with 1901 and 1902 sight upgrades. The proper front sight for the 1902 rear sight will appear tall compared to the short 1896 front sight. The front sight appropriate for the 1901 rear sight is somewhere in the middle.
    Occasionally you will find an 1896 rifle with a 1901 cartouche. These usually have the 1901 rear sight but I have seen one with an 1896 style rear sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkibler2 View Post
    I picked up a Christmas present for myself yesterday. An1896 Krag Rifle serial number 108444. After reading an earlier post this Rifle seems to be late number for this model. Anyway, the Rifle has the 1902 rear sight and tall front sight blade. Can't read the cartouche but the P is there. Those sights don't seem right though. Thoughts would be appreciated. Merry Christmas to All!
    Not the highest "Model 1896", but certainly getting well up there.

Rear sights were routinely up-graded in service, depending where the rifle(s) were used, and should probably not be considered the horrible drawback that some would make them. Yes, the arm may not be "as made", but if you have perfectly matching patina, wood color, etc., I've come to the conclusion that "restoration" - where you KNOW the new parts are not original to the gun - is not necessarily the best course of action. Yes, we've all done it, but hopefully the thought process matures. Flame away.

I agree with you, Dick - I've gone down the "restoration road" before, but there were a few times I wish I would have left well enough alone.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

5. Default

Have an interesting 1896 Krag rifle I would like to show you all but how do you post photos?

I click on the 3rd icon from the right, which is above and to the far right of your typing window.
    then click on From Computer
    then Click on Choose Phile
    then go to your stored photo on your camera. Mine is Camera Roll.
    then click on it and
    then Click on the Download Icon
    then just click on Upload to post.

Sorry about above picture. Yes Fred it works. Just hope I can remember.

9. Default

IMG_4050.jpgIMG_4050.jpg
    This is a note found in the lightening cut under the buttplate of an 1896 Krag rifle I recently found. The rifle stock is in original condition with no oiler cut and is cartouched 1896. The rifle letters out in SRS to an Illinois outfit in 1898. Sights were upgraded probably first to 1902 (high front sight blade) and later to the 1901 rear sight on the rifle as I found it.