Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    There are indeed reproductions, but they are cast. That's why you sometimes find "jungle carbines" with broken sight protectors.
    Thanks JB for clarifying for me. I was not talking about the crappy cast repros you can see casting seems in. I was talking about a true milled repro. Its my understanding they would be to expensive to make, but I'm no machinist so I'm not sure what measurement of them is the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    Still have to laugh when the dealers call them "jungle carbines" A bunch wound up in Norway! don't recall any "jungles" there!
    Didn't one of the big importers back in the day given them that catchy name as a marketing gimmick

From what I recall it was Golden State Arms in their ads. Some folks now claim they picked it up elsewhere. Doesn't really matter as it was never any type of official designation.
    Only recently has the controversy arisen about whether the term was really coined in the American ad hype, or began as British slang but made popular in the USA.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Thanks JB for clarifying for me. I was not talking about the crappy cast repros you can see casting seems in. I was talking about a true milled repro. Its my understanding they would be to expensive to make, but I'm no machinist so I'm not sure what measurement of them is the issue.
    Have you seen the CNC'd Rigby style nosecaps for the MLE and LEC's someone had made up over on the Gunboards site?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Lee-nose-caps
    Last edited by JB White; 12-24-2016 at 08:54.

Have you seen the CNC'd Rigby style nosecaps for the MLE and LEC's someone had made up over on the Gunboards site?

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...-Lee-nose-caps
    I seen it on milsurps. They look very good. Now we need someone to make in spec wood stocks. At the rate drill rifles are being robbed of parts collectors in the future will be looking for original drill rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Now we need someone to make in spec wood stocks. At the rate drill rifles are being robbed of parts collectors in the future will be looking for original drill rifles.
    It's not cost effective. Won't be for quite a while yet. Even if doing stocks in American Walnut the cost is too high for what the market will bear. That's why limited runs of scarce pieces are done and second runs are rarely done once the limited demand is mostly satisfied.

Once the time comes, expect Asian or Sub-Continent manufacture in the rough using woods we can barely pronounce once identified. Some of the Teak No4 bits out of Viet Nam looked very good but they were heavy compared to walnut, beech, and birch etc.. Once those leftovers sold I haven't seen any since.

The overseas replacement wood for the Brown Bess and P53/Snider Enfields aren't perfect at all but they make a decent handle to hold on to. Expect the same for the Lee Enfields once the time is right...and if the world still exists.

It's not cost effective. Won't be for quite a while yet. Even if doing stocks in American Walnut the cost is too high for what the market will bear. That's why limited runs of scarce pieces are done and second runs are rarely done once the limited demand is mostly satisfied.

Once the time comes, expect Asian or Sub-Continent manufacture in the rough using woods we can barely pronounce once identified. Some of the Teak No4 bits out of Viet Nam looked very good but they were heavy compared to walnut, beech, and birch etc.. Once those leftovers sold I haven't seen any since.

The overseas replacement wood for the Brown Bess and P53/Snider Enfields aren't perfect at all but they make a decent handle to hold on to. Expect the same for the Lee Enfields once the time is right...and if the world still exists.
    Agree with your opinion. Time will tell and the price will probably be high.

How about the bayonet trainers? Have a couple with spring loaded rods in the barrel with a ball on the end of the rod.
    Last edited by John Sukey; 12-29-2016 at 06:00.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    How about the bayonet trainers? Have a couple with spring loaded rods in the barrel with a ball on the end of the rod.
    I have one John made out of an old Mark 1. People use to scoff at them. I could part this one out and triple my money but.....I only bought one so I'm keeping it as is.

10. Default

Fakes were commercially made to make surplus arms more desirable. Others were faked by their owners simply for the cool factor. Numrich sold cobbled up 'conversion kits' for years including a cheap flashider assemble for the wider barrel.

Gibbs/Navy Arms faked a buttload of damaged, deteriorated, otherwise unsellable, India 2A, 7.62 NATO rifles. Cleverly hawked as Australian No7's even though there was never such an animal. Both legit varieties of No7's were .22 trainers.

If the rifle you're watching is a Sante Fe/ Golden State, and is complete and undamaged, $255 might be a fair price. They didn't hide anything and took the time to mark the product. The SF/GS rifles have a cult-collector following for that reason. Another documented step in the life of an Enfield.

If the rifle is in great shape, and used hunting/plinking rifles are selling in that price range, then the shop might get what they're asking.
    Mine is definately a fake but, bought it knowing this. Go Cubies!
    Steve
    Last edited by S.B.; 08-28-2017 at 11:20.
    The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson