1. Question Anyone ever see a USGI Boyt Saddle Scabbard built for an 03A4?

M1903A4 Leather M1917 Scabbard WWII 9 .jpgM1903A4 Leather M1917 Scabbard WWII 1.jpgM1903A4 Leather M1917 Scabbard WWII 6 .jpgJust took a chance and bid on a rather unusual M1903 GI Saddle Scabbard - which is now enroute to me. It was on Ebay, and the former owner billed it as a GI piece, and said a real M1903A4 fits in it like a glove. It really looks GI, original configuration started as a WWII Boyt M1903 piece, with the added scope cover both riveted with six GI style copper rivets and closely machine stitched on. Aging and verdigris makes it look like it has been this way for a long time. It is black, but much WWII leather got turned to black in the 1950's.

I'm looking for help in locating a USGI document that would reference it - it is not unreasonable that the Quartermaster Corps would order such a scabbard, with 20,000 03A4s ordered and used in both Europe and the Pacific, and mounting M1s, 03s, Thompsons and BARs on Jeeps and other vehicles was regularly done with GI scabbards and visible in period photos. Any info, photos, etc, would be appreciated. CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 12-23-2016 at 02:19. Reason: Added Photos
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

2. Default

I recieved the scabbard, and it does look to be produced in some sort of professional setting - perhaps at Boyts or modified at a Government Arsenal.
    Here are some photos, put in the first post. CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 12-23-2016 at 02:22.

You know what I would suggest if I was you. I would take these pics over to the USMilitariaforum and ask there. Most of the guys who write the books on US Gear, hang out over there. I guarantee if it exists, they would have the documents confirming it.

If I had to take a guess, I would think it was more a one off modification than something that was produced in quantity. But honeslty that is only a guess. I have no clue. It is neat though.

But here is the forum, I can guarantee they could answer your question.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/

4. Default

Thanks, cplnorton - I will gather up some more photos and give that a shot. The very heavy machine stitching and the GI style rivets seem to say "GI Purpose made" either by Boyt or in a US Arsenal but the front scope cover piece is not as precise as it might have been. But 20,000 03A4s is a lot of rifles, seemingly justifying such a special modified scabbard. CC

Hey let us know how the search goes. You know me, I'm a sucker for anything sniper related. It's a dang neat case.

6. Default

Scouts, runners, and snipers were all part of Battalion G-2 run by the Intelligence Officer. The WWII runners (messengers) used side-car motorcycles as well as regular motorcycles, and any other vehicle they could get their hands on. I would be surprised if there weren't scabbards for A-4's.

Nice acquisition, Col Colt. Look inside the scabbard. If it was used much, you will see slide marks from the scope, as well as marks left by the bolt handle. Throw an A4 in and see if they all line up.

jt

It's an M1904 scabbard, here is a similar one I posted a while back.
    http://www.jouster.com/forums/showth...niper-scabbard

"...scabbards for A-4's..." Motorcycles makes more sense than horse mounted snipers. snicker. Cavalry 'snipes' with the main gun of a tank. Mind you, not many snipers using motorcycles to get around. Far more likely to be civilian made for post war, horse back, hunting.
    "...heavy machine stitching and the GI style rivets..." Says, "I want this to hold together under extreme use."
    Spelling and grammar count!