Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Gentleman ...thanks for all the informative replies, they were most interesting, as was the rifle.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    Are the "flaming bomb" marked parts to denote Spanish contract parts?
    Attachment 38846
    Quite possibly the flaming bomb was a Spanish mark at one time. My 1893 rifles, which are originals from the 1898 war period, possibly captures, do not have the bomb. None of my Argentine rifles or carbines have it.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    Obviously not "Krag" in nature but since it pertained (I think) to the Spanish-American War-era in Cuba, I thought this might be of interest.

I had a gentleman email me with the following pictures of a Model 1894 Spanish Mauser carbine he had obtained via auction not too long ago. It is obviously a presentation rifle of some sort, but it (apparently) was obtained in Cuba in 1897 and presented in 1899.

I did a quick Yahoo search on both the United Service Club of Philadelphia and Randolph Clay and didn't turn anything up. I thought some of you folks might like to take a look: (More pictures on next post below)

Attachment 38781Attachment 38782Attachment 38783Attachment 38784Attachment 38785
    Howsabout I paint a story without any diversion into "American capture" as that, as they say, is facts not in evidence and is contraindicated.

In 1897 there was some severe fighting in Pinar del Rio; General Weyler and his Spanish forces against the rebels. That would account for the "1897" and location.

Let's say, for whatever reason, the gun was presented to Mr. Clay by the Spanish at the time. Perhaps he owned a tobacco plantation or whatever.

Let's fast forward to 1899. The "United Service Club" was more or less the "USO" before the USO existed. They used to have lodging for wayward soldiers and sailors and, periodically, had "talks" where whatever leading light would give a talk. Let's further presume that, as the tag indicates, Mr. Clay presented that to the club in 1899. Why? Because of the recent war there was renewed interest in all things Cuban and Spanish due to our war. Nowhere does it claim that it was captured by U.S. forces though and it'd be highly unlikely that anyone capturing it in, say, 1898 would know it had been at Pinar del Rio in 1897. Furthermore, if it had been captured by U.S. forces one would expect that location and date to also be noted.

Interesting gun but the entire "American Capture" guessing seems to have tacked to port quite severely. Looks like an item presented to an American who "regifted" it to the club.