Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Captured (or "obtained") Spanish Mauser carbine from Cuba

Obviously not "Krag" in nature but since it pertained (I think) to the Spanish-American War-era in Cuba, I thought this might be of interest.

I had a gentleman email me with the following pictures of a Model 1894 Spanish Mauser carbine he had obtained via auction not too long ago. It is obviously a presentation rifle of some sort, but it (apparently) was obtained in Cuba in 1897 and presented in 1899.

I did a quick Yahoo search on both the United Service Club of Philadelphia and Randolph Clay and didn't turn anything up. I thought some of you folks might like to take a look: (More pictures on next post below)

!cid_3E44C3C7-851D-4DC2-8D7C-22D70CA8F3EF@home (1024x768).jpg!cid_4C17B6D8-91D9-42F0-8180-A8DBA7604974@home (1024x197).jpg!cid_5BD55FD8-5181-47AC-95A5-08C2127A1F6F@home (1024x768).jpg!cid_6B10768A-C7DA-4AE4-870E-E723DCCFCD04@home (1024x348).jpg!cid_C1579908-FF65-4AB4-8B90-3FF994EF1B8A@home (2) (1024x396).jpg
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

"We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Thanks for sharing the photos of the Spanish model 1891 carbine, Rick. (Made by Loewe in 1894 and for the 7.65X53mm Mauser cartridge).

I believe a lot of the model 1891 Spanish Mausers were captured in Cuba. I suspect the 1891s were surrendered, rather than model 1893 Spanish Mausers in 7X57mm. Most Spanish troops surrendered with 'Honors' and returned to Spain with their rifles.

IIRC - A lot of the captured rifles, that were model 1893 Spanish Mausers, came off captured Spanish ships.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 12-19-2016 at 01:22.

You can see what I know about Mausers - I should have noticed the "bare" magazine, which definitely i.d.ed it as a pre-1893. Anything significant about the fact it said it was gotten in 1897?
    --C.S. Lewis

I have one such carbine, and have researched them to the degree that the books and internet supports that.
    The carbines of which there were 5 to 10 thousand made(and a number of rifles any of which are yet to be found) were purchased while at still at the Loewe company from the Argentine government, by the Spanish in 1893. The purchase was made because 1) The 1893 was not in production yet, and the Spaniards were engaged in a war with the Rifs in Melilla, Morocco. They wanted modern smokeless arms, but were pretty much stuck with Rolling Blocks for the time being and 2) The Argentines were embarrassed for funds just at that time, and were happy to sell a portion of what the Loewe firm was producing. The carbines are the 1891 Argentine model, except that they were intercepted early enough in manufacture so that there is no real reference to Argentina on them, except possibly some acceptance marks on parts. Otherwise, they would have the Argentine Crest, and say Model Argentino, like the rest of the 1891s. As is, they have the Arms of Spain on the receiver, like the 1893 rifles.*
    The carbines did not arrive in Spain until sometime in 1894, by which time the war was over in N. Africa....for the time being. (This last is a consensus of some internet sources)
    As these carbines did not fit in with the now available 7mm 1893 Mauser, logistically, it is said ( note that statement) that they were sent Cuba, because an island colony was not then integral with the rest of the Spanish Army requirements. It did not matter (I suppose for the present) that Cuba was using a different cartridge from the rest of the Spanish.
    Some were captured by US forces (1898) and were allegedly sold to and by Bannerman and maybe others.

So, their existence in Cuba in or before 1897 is documented. Maybe some got into the hands of guerrillas and some American political supporter of the Cuban Revolution or journalist got one from them. That would make one available for presentation in 1897, as Americans were visiting the rebels prior to 1898. Of course, why would insurrectos give up a modern weapon to a journalist?

*See Webster, Colin : Argentine Mauser Rifles 1871-1959, p. 123-124. For one version of this story. A different version is in Robert W.D.. Ball Mauser Military Rifles of the World, 4th edition

Excellent rundown ...thanks!!
    --C.S. Lewis

U.S. Naval forces apparently attempted land attacks and were repulsed at Pinar del Rio, Cuba, on April 30, 1898, and May 4, 1898. (Maybe the 1897 date is a mistake)?

It is likely, the 'United Service Club' was a 'Soldier/Sailor Veteran Aid Society' in Philadelphia following the SAW.

Randolph Clay was the name of one of the sons of a (departed) former U.S. Russia Ambassador, from Philadelphia. Possibly, Randolph was a benefactor to a Veteran Aid Society and donated this war trophy Mauser, in 1899, to help raise funds (charity auction item)?
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 12-19-2016 at 10:08.

That's a new one on me, Rick. I thought the only rifles the US troops faced were the '03 Mausers in 7x57mm.. Learn something new every daY!

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    That's a new one on me, Rick. I thought the only rifles the US troops faced were the '03 Mausers in 7x57mm.. Learn something new every daY!

jn
    Apparently, Cuban militia who took the part of the Spanish government rather than that of the rebels, were armed with Remington Rolling Blocks in 11mm and/or 11mm reformado. I doubt if the American troops faced them in battle, but maybe...