Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Attached Images Attached Images

Attached Images Attached Images

Looks very familiar did you happen to buy it on gunbroker from a user going by p246. If so I can tell you where the guns been since the 1960s. If not very nice example and I've only seen one other one as nice.
    Last edited by p246; 12-16-2016 at 02:04.

Yes, it's the same one. It IS a nice rifle, isn't it!
    So Please tell me what you know of the rifle!
    Last edited by Fred; 12-16-2016 at 02:15.

Thanks for the additional pictures Fred. I have a couple of butchered 1866 2nd Allin's myself and always enjoy the looks of one that appears original.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

very nice... thank you for sharing it

Fred I'll have time late this afternoon and will type it out. Before selling it I took it to an old local civil war collector, who due to health, is no longer buying. When I handed it to him his response was,My god this thing had to have spent its military life in barracks stores, then been loved by every previous owner. He then got out several of his examples, none of which were as nice. His sales appraisal was spot on by the way. As I was leaving he said, you know if I was a younger man you wouldn't be leaving with that box wagon". More to follow tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by p246 View Post
    Fred I'll have time late this afternoon and will type it out. Before selling it I took it to an old local civil war collector, who due to health, is no longer buying. When I handed it to him his response was,My god this thing had to have spent its military life in barracks stores, then been loved by every previous owner. He then got out several of his examples, none of which were as nice. His sales appraisal was spot on by the way. As I was leaving he said, you know if I was a younger man you wouldn't be leaving with that box wagon". More to follow tonight.
    An allusion, no doubt, to the M'66 surprising Red Cloud at the Battle of the Wagon Boxes, on the Bozeman Trail in 1867. Sadly of course, those rifles would have had the first type block without cap. As an "old" collector he may not have known the difference. VERY nice 1866, no matter what, better than mine - which is pretty crisp.

Barracks stores for sure. It' doesn't appear to have ever seen Field Use. Maybe it was part of a Bannerman special regarding unopened cases of stored away 1866's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    An allusion, no doubt, to the M'66 surprising Red Cloud at the Battle of the Wagon Boxes, on the Bozeman Trail in 1867. Sadly of course, those rifles would have had the first type block without cap. As an "old" collector he may not have known the difference. VERY nice 1866, no matter what, better than mine - which is pretty crisp.
    Correct Dick, when you go to Joes its a two hours history lesson. Upon seeing it he, from memory told me the difference between the first type and second type. He recounted the battle of the Wagon Boxes among others. He also pulled out a photo of Bill Cody holding what I think he said was the type two Allen. He then pulled out two second types and one first type. He showed me the differences and why he thought the changes were made. He is frail in his old age but I think his mind is in better shape than mine.