Default Mossburg Model 44US Left Hand

A friend just picked up a Model 44US Civilian version in near mint condition. It had the civilian sling swivels, left hand Lyman rear and front target sight and it was a left handed bolt version. It is drilled and tapped on the right side for the Mossburg side mount. I had never seen a left hand version of that rifle and would like to get the "experts" opinions on its rarity, if it has any. He paid $375 for it OTD.

How is the gun marked on the barrel? Moss made several left hand rifles but that was before the war, the 44us is post war. In 1937 Moss. introduced the 'Master Action' and receiver, its basic design and dimensions remanded the same into the post war period on all bolt models of .22's. I would suspect that someone married a left hand receiver to 44US parts and stock.
    Go to RimfireCentral.com, Moss forum, where the Moss. collectors hang out. I believe there were few models made with left action but all had a L in the model number, at least in the literature. I do not think you have a factory original rifle.
    You can never go home again.

We took pictures of the rifle and sent them to Vic Havlin. H is the man for Mossburgs and he determined that it is a mismatched rifle.

If it's left hand it's commercial. Buckets of info on 'em linked here.
    http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=652769
    Spelling and grammar count!

Yes, the action is commercial but not the total rifle. It is a re-barreled left hand action with 44US parts. At least I think that is what Vic meant by 'mismatched' and its what I was trying to say in my post above, if I was not clear. I am a member of the Moss Collector Assc., of which Vic is Pres. If you are interested in Moss. stuff, Vic published the only book I know of on this company's products. However it is very outdated, much research has been done since it was written. The membership is very active in finding out new stuff, including myself.
    Last edited by dave; 12-21-2016 at 11:01.
    You can never go home again.