Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Really nice write up Andrew. Thank you, I learned a lot.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    Really nice write up Andrew. Thank you, I learned a lot.
    I'd say we all did. Very refreshing to see something new come across the forum for a change. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 12-25-2016 at 10:50.

3. Default

For what it is worth, the wording of the communications between Pershing and ANWAR is as follows, dated 4/15/1918.

"With reference to (your communication) our requirements for shot guns at present, taken care of in order of 5,000 riot guns. Shot guns for aviation will be ordered as required".

"For Chief Signal Officer and Chief of Ordnance. With reference to (your communication). Recommend adoption stripped Springfield with 10 round magazines as emergency rifle until lightweight Browning rifle is available. 825 emergency rifles needed by June 1st".
    Pershing

I found several other references by Pershing to the ASR. It appears Pershing intended to arm Aviation with BAR's (and return the Lewis guns to the Corps). Not sure what actually happened, but rather than the Lewis guns being returned, the Corps was armed with a limited number of BAR's late in the war.

At one point, they considered the 351 Winchester.879+879+79

jt

I didn't really spend very much time looking for this stuff, because this is outside my collector interest. But I was just curious. But seeing just a few of the cables in order. It looks like they were throwing out ideas on what to use as the Emergency rifle, and never really getting a final confirmation or approval. Because you see them ask several times what rifle are we going to use? To me it looks like they still didn't know what was going on in June 1918, and finally just said screw it, and decided not to have a Emergency Aviation rifle.

I really think it's matching up with what Andrew is saying though. The Air Service 1903 was just a failed design that never was approved. And it looks like the Air Service never offiically adopted anything from what I can see, as the Emergency rifle.

But here are the cables I found in order. If someone wanted to dig more, you might find a few more. All these Pershing cables are online and keyword searchable, so they are pretty easy to navigate and go through.

Andrew might be able to add more. His stuff is coming from the archives, which would be the Ordnance side of this, which would be much more clearer on what was actually happening.

Nov 1917

Dec 30th 1917

Jan 9, 1918

March 9, 1918

April 15th, 1918

May 31st, 1918

June 13, 1918

June 25, 1918