Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why so few 1896 rifles?

Hi,

I've been looking at Gun Broker etc. for listings of 1896 rifles and don't see many. Any ideas why? I see a lot of 1898's.

I have an 1896 rifle. When I bought it years ago, the rear sight was broken - I bought it anyway. That's when I learned that the sights and hand guard were changed (I bought an original sight for too much money). I bought it from a very old gentleman at a Forks of the Delaware show in Allentown, years ago. He told me that he worked at a Phila. gunsmith shop long ago and they changed bbl's on them and made "carbines". He told me not to shoot the '96. Said that they would drop them from a 2nd floor railing and only use the ones that didn't break.

Dave

2. Default

Probably Ross Kircher or another parts guy whose name eludes me at present. Interesting story and more 1896 receivers will be found mated to a short barrel, but far fewer 1896 rifles were produced because they redesigned the 1898 to be easier and cheaper to produce. Both models are safe to shoot just be sure they are as produced, correct headspace and general sound condition,

3. Default

Ron Geis (spelling?) was the other gentleman.

Thanks for the info. He was very interesting to talk to.

Just by the numbers produced, there were way more 1898 rifles than 1896 rifles - something on the order of 3-1, off the top of my head.

I have a rifle with a 1896 dated reciever, but it is only a three digit serial number?
    How can that be?
    I think it is 762, without looking.
    Thanks

It cannot be, unless the number has somehow been defaced or the date has been altered. It has to be 1894. Please provide a good clear photograph - no rush - this question will produce discussion.

Bannermans Bought loads of them after the Spanish American war and "sporterized" lots of them by chopping the stocks.
    Another funny fact, the caretaker in Bannermans Island would knock the bronze hubs off gatling gun carriages to sell them for booze during prohibition

9. Default

How long were they in production ?

10. Default

Model 1896 rifles were produced from early 1896 to early 1898.