Default Question about SA M1 stock and rear handguard.

Hi,
    I'm working on another VFW M1, #2,665,xxx. It looks good on the outside, but it's the dirtiest M1 I've seen so far. I had a rough time getting the gas cyl. off and everything I touched was black. Not surprising that it misfired.

The stock is blonde wood and the hand guards are walnut. There are no markings at all on the stock, but a hard,shiny finish. All of the inletting is very finely done - much nicer than any other M1's I've worked on. There is a small red "dot" painted on the wrist. The rear hand guard clip is grooved (should be flat) and it has had a repair to the rear of the clip - 4 brass pins are visible from the top. The BBl. is SA 11-44 so that wasn't changed, and the rest of the parts appear correct for the serial no. range. The sling is Milsco, steel claws.

I didn't think that these rifles had wood repairs done (it's certainly not a Greek rifle). Any thoughts?

I guess many years ago someone at the VFW may have coated the stock (it's nicely done) and painted the dot. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dave

It's a given that most Garands at VFW were arsenal rebuilds and may have any combination of parts. Many were also altered, modified, or cannibalized by members of the VFW.